Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus E-M1 lockup

Started by msilver2 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus E-M1 lockup

6 posts
  1. Twice now in the last four days the E-M1 has locked up on me during a dive. The camera sticks into one screen and then it won't respond to any buttons or knobs and won't take a photo and won't turn off. both times I had to wait until the dive was over and remove the battery. After reinserting the battery topside, the camera returned to normal operation. Anyone had a similar experience? Is there a solution? It's hard to imagine sending it in for repair as I don't know that the problem would manifest itself while the doctor is looking at it.

     

     

  2. I can only imagine how frustrating that must be. I have never had this happen, but maybe try updated the firmware again?

  3. This was a problem with some of the early E-M5's and was resolved with a firmware upgrade. I have two E-M1's, one in a Nauticam housing and I have not experienced the problem. When I had the issue with my E-M5 it was resolved before the firmware upgrade by reversing the function button that I had assigned for focusing from the AEL/AFL button.

  4. This is very similar to what occurred to Barbara's EM-1 just prior to our trip to Palau and Truk in September. We bought another body and have not had the problem since. I posted a thread back in September. There was no solution other than taking out the battery and letting the camera sit for a bit.

    TedJ

  5. I yesterday had the same Problem. I had a dive and everything was fine. Then after 1 hour I did a second dive. I did not Change anything, even did not open the housing.

    After a few photos suddendly the camera did not react on pressing Buttons.

    I tried about 20 Minutes under water, nothing did help.

    After 40 Minutes the System worked for 2 Photos, then the same again.

    It was really frustrating!

    After the dive I took the camera out of the housing and everything worked normal.

    Armin

  6. Is it possible that it is incorrect alignment of the camera in the housing?

     

    I've seen this happen before with other systems where a camera button is being pressed unintentionally by a housing control - leading to all sorts of weird results in the camera electronics. The problem usually disappears on the surface......

     

    Just a thought

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.