Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

surf vs dive housing

Started by mantashrimpman ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

surf vs dive housing

3 posts
  1. surf vs dive housing

    hello everyone i plan on getting the nikon d70 sometime in the near feature and wanted to understand housings better. well i live in hawaii and plan on using my camera in the water mainly toshoot surfing and diving. since i dont scuba i only free dive i never go deeper than 25 feet. i wanted a housing that could be able to handle the preassure down there and that would be light and moble enough to shoot out of the water for those awesome surfing shots. is it better to get the surf housing and just pray i never get good enough to dive past 33feet where most surf housings fail or should i opt for the dive housing and just deal with the bulkyness of the stronger housing??????????????????anyinfo on this would be a great help

    mike

  2. i don't have any specific surfing experience, but I have always been worried that my dive housing will leak when I have taken it into the surf. It hasn't, but for this reason I think a housing specifically designed to withstand surf might be best.

     

    the other point I'd make is that I think the ideal lens for in water surfing shots is a wide angle zoom. Most of these lenses require port extensions on dive housings - which seem to increase the chances of a flood when the housing is washed about by the surf.

     

    So I'd suggest a surf housing is the best way to go:

    http://www.aquatech.com.au/index.htm

     

    Alex

     

    I'm sure others have more useful input!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.