Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Old Canon 50D in S&S MDX-40/50D housing w/ Magic Lantern

Started by blueline ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Old Canon 50D in S&S MDX-40/50D housing w/ Magic Lantern

1 posts
  1. So, I purchased a used Canon 50D body on eBay and installed Magic Lantern to shoot some video(decided to give this a chance instead of selling my setup). I was able to shoot video on my last 3 dives. However one issue, there's no dedicated button for the LiveView/LCD screen on the MDX-40/50D Sea & Sea housing and have no way to turn it on/off while underwater to preserve the battery. I actually have to turn on LV before I place the camera in the housing and begin my dive(camera goes into sleep mode after 20 secs, Magic Lantern has a selection for that). The problem is if I forget to press the shutter button once in a while for the camera to wake up, it powers off after 30 mins. It happened to me once, was too busy fighting waves on a recent shore dive.

    In addition, is there a way to program a custom key, C1, C2 or function to turn LV on when I power up the camera? I've tried to program C1,C2 per the manual but LV constantly switches off before I save the sequence. I really don't want to add a button to the housing, it might compromise its integrity (actually I was told not even Sea & Sea in the US will do that). Any suggestions/ideas will greatly be appreciated.

     

    Here's a short video with the results..

     



    Thank you.
    Edited by blueline
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.