Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

5DmkIII wide angle lens for Ikelite housing

Started by Chasin' Tales ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

5DmkIII wide angle lens for Ikelite housing

9 posts
  1. Ok, first time I've had a complaint about my Ikelite housing...the lens I want won't fit in the housing!

     

    We have been shooting with the 100mm macro lens up until now. I have been wanting to get a good wide angle prime for UW, landscape, and astrophotography. Wanting something f2.8 or faster, I was looking at the canon 24mm f1.4L USM II. I was quickly deflated when I realized that this lens is to wide for Ikelite ports. Bummer (I was also deflated by the $1600 pricetag). However, the old original version of this lens is narrow enough to fit.

     

    Does anyone shoot with the older version of the 24mm f1.4? Better yet, anyone have one in great condition they want to sell?

     

    I saw the Sigma 24mm f1.8 but have been unimpressed with some of the reviews of this lens. Are there any other prime lenses in the 14-24mm range that I should consider?

     

    What is the max lens diameter that a Nauticam housing can accommodate?

     

    Thanks!

     

     

  2. HI

     

    Your lens the canon 24mm f1.4L USM II will not quite fit in a ikelite housing. The lens list max diameter of 3.4" and the ikelite modular port measures 3.355". That is so close that I could machine the ikelite port and remove the needed .050 so the lens would fit. Do you plan to use the ikelite 8" dome or would you like the precision 5" dome?

     

    I assume that you already have the ikelite housing? I also assume that you will not need to manual focus the lens.

     

    ​The Nauticam housing can accommodate a lens up to 3.850"

  3. Thanks Bill!

     

    I haven't yet purchased a lens...don't have the 24mm USM II in my hands, but it does appear there to be a presumably metal ring at the front of the lens that is not found on the original type I 24 mm lens.

     

    I'm one of those idiots that thinks they can do anything with a dremel tool...but dang I sure would be nervous grinding on a $1600 lens. However, it would not rank as the stupidest thing I've ever done.

     

    Wonder if anyone has done this successfully???

  4. I am sure that could be done but you might think of using a small file. But really would you want to do that to a $1600 lens or modify a $200 port body?

  5. I am sure that could be done but you might think of using a small file. But really would you want to do that to a $1600 lens or modify a $200 port body?

     

    I've been in the drilling world long enough to believe that modifying pressure control equipment is a sin.

     

    I'd have get my hands on the port and check out the wall thickness. Also, removing 0.05" assumes that the lens is perfectly centered in the port. It may be necessary to remove material from the lens and the port body in order to not have interference.

  6. would you like picture's measurements? The port body is made from delrin.

  7. Try the new EF 24mm f2.8 IS. It's very compact and is close to the 1.4 II and even at 2.8, the corner sharpness is good It has more vignetting, distortion and CA, nothing that can't be corrected in post. Great little walkabout lens. The IS is a nice tool.

  8. The ikelite modular port has a .248"wall thickness so I think that there is plenty there to take .025 away from that making the diameter .245". The lens has to be centered in the port / dome to get good pictures. If you use a short port and extension it will cost more but it will give you a larger opening on the far end of the lens.

     

    Bill

  9. Thanks all,

     

    I took a second look at the 24mm f2.8...put in the order yesterday along with the 8" dome port!

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.