Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D70 Upgrade Path

Started by Detonate ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

D70 Upgrade Path

10 posts
  1. D70 Upgrade Path

    I've just started my path to upgrading from an Olympus C5050 to the Nikon D70. I don't even have the camera in hand yet, and already my stomach is begining to churn thinking about all the things I'm going to have to get.

     

    One thing that is paticularly bothering me, is that I just bought an Inon D180 February, and it seems noone is using it with the D70. Will it even work?

     

    Basically I bought the ULCS Digital Tray, ULCS 3 clamp Arms, and the Inon D180 to go with my C5050 setup.

     

    Is any of this going to be reusable with a D70 rig? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the arms are usable.

     

    But what about the Tray?

     

    ...and most importantly... The strobe? :shock:

  2. Hi -

     

    Im on the same path and just opened the d70 box today.. I think you'll like the kit lens.. Basically, i bought new housing and tray and arms and strobes from Ike.. Save the 5050 as a backup.

     

    M.

  3. Man, I wish I could do that. But really I'll probably have to sell the 5050 and Housing just to be able to afford a housing for the D70.

     

    From what I understand, there is no way to trigger the flash of the D70 while it is housed, which at the very least makes it impossible for me to the use the Inon Clear Photo system that came with the D180...

     

    Maybe I just need to sell the D180 and try and get a 220s?

     

    Anyone know if the tray is usable?

  4. I think your best bet would be to use the D70 with a cable. HOWEVER, check with Inon first, as they may soon be releasing a hot shoe (camera) to optical converter which will plug into a Nikonos type bulkhead. You could use that to trigger your D180. I can't say how much it will cost though.

     

    Here's what it looks like (From our DEMA 203 show report):

     

    http://www.wetpixel.com/module-pagesetter-...-1-pid-33.phtml

     

    031009_123642_90100.jpg

     

    You won't be able to use that with the Ikelite housing, but one poster here has said that he can get the popup flash to fire when the camera is inside the Ike housing.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. I'm on a similar upgrade path: C5050Z, Inon D180 x 2, Inon UWL100, Inon UCL330. I have the D70, 18-70mm kit lens, Nikkor 60mm macro, 10.5mm DX fisheye.

     

    I have high hopes for the optical converter (Inon are you listening :wink: )

     

    Interesting too, I have found the Inon UCL330 fits onto the 18-70mm kit lens having the same 67mm diameter. How practical this would be though I'm not sure as I have found quality lacking; particulary cf 60mm Nikkor macro.

  6. The inon 330 is designed to have water touching the elements. Water has a different index of refraction than air.

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. converter

    james, does the system you show, nexus-converter-d70 let you do ttl? :lol:

  8. I don't know yet. Hopefully we will be reviewing this product soon and I can say for sure. Perhaps Mark R. will chime in here as well.

     

    Sincerely,

    James Wiseman

  9. I have an optical converter D here in the store, but I'm not sure it was ever even officially released on the US Market.

     

    It is designed to be a trigger only for Inon strobes, converting the electrical signal from a Nikonos bulkhead to an optical one piped through the optical cable.

     

    There is a ttl version in Japan, I hear, but intellectual property concerns have delayed its release here.

     

    My thoughts on detonate's quandry are:

     

    Your d180 package, including 5050 and d180 would make a very nice starter set for some one new to digital, and could easily be sold as a package in the classifieds section.

     

    I would want a little more strobe for a d70, considering its expansive choice of wide angle lenses.

     

    Your tray won't work, but the arms are compatible should you choose to keep them, only requiring a different base adapter.

  10. I was afraid you were going to say that. :lol: I sent you an email with some questions about equipment. Let me know if you don't receive it.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.