Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Rolleimarin Info wanted

Started by Paul Kay ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Rolleimarin Info wanted

7 posts
  1. I just bought in a Rolleimarin housing complete with flash and canvas bags and all in very clean condition other than I can't get it apart as yet - I don't think that its been opened in a very long time. But how do I figure out which version I've got (I to IV I believe) and which version of the camera (3.5F) to look for to put inside. I'm not sure what I'll actually do with it - its very clean as I said and perhaps a little long in the tooth for actual use - but its a fabulous looking beast and will make a great display item if nothing else.

  2. Can you post a couple of images Paul? I'd love to get a look at it.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. Hi Steve

     

    Here's a very quick 'snap' - nowhere to take pix here at the moment as we have builders in!

     

    post-1587-0-33476200-1423221154_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Paul Kay
  4. Paul,

    Have you opened it yet? If not undo clamp with front port on the edge of a bench(Some place sturdy) and swing clamp over the housing and rest where it stops and give a few raps, if that doesn't work leave the housing unlatched in a safe location for a day and repeat. google Rollimarin instructions online for future use. www.cameramanuals.com or http://www.butkus.org

    good luck

     

    Bernie

    Edited by FLAFROG
  5. If the serial number of the housing is 1400 (on the front ring; can't read it in the pic you posted) or greater it is a Rolleimarin IV and will fit 3.5F models with serial number 2,250,000 and above. A 3.5E with a high SN as well - as this is what I have - the 3.5E's do not have the knob light meter of the 3.5F's. Earlier models will fit other f/3.5 Rollei models (note lower case f), including some models with Tessar/Xenar lenses as opposed to the Planar/Xenotar lenses. The different lenses require different interface units - the gizmo that fits over the front of the camera - since the filter sizes are different (used to mount the gizmo).

  6. Thanks for all the info. The 'interface units' are missing, BUT.....

     

    Having had a really good look at this housing I am now of the opinion that it has actually never been used! I still can't open it as the main seal is well stuck down due, I suspect, to it having been unopened for many years - it needs easing and will eventually open I'm sure. Condition though is fabulous - it is immaculate and very close to being in 'mint' condition. Which leaves me in a bit of a quandry. If it had been used I might just have modified a cheap TLR to get it running, but its in 'collectable' condition and to use it would inevitably change this. So I suspect that I will sell it on - it really deserves to be appreciated as a piece of history in its current condition rather than anything else - even though I think equipment should be used really. In a way its a pity but I'm not a collector but rather a user. And FWIW its and early housing I think - it not to hand to quote the s/n but sound early.

  7. It indeed looks like a new model. Congrats! I had this housing in the 80ties. Inside was the legendary Rolleiflex 3.5 F (75 mm) camera with a Planar lense. Beware that the housing is sealed with flat rings and so called 'simmer' rings, not O-rings. The Rolleimarin also had the option of inserting one of a set of three close-up lenses; the Rolleinars 1, 2 and 3 that could be switched in front of the Planar lense, with the lever on the top of the housing. I think the Rolleiflex 3.5 F with Planar and the Rolleinar lenses are still for sale on Internet.

    Instead of the flash bulbs, I used an electronic flash connected via an open water connector and thyristor switch inside the housing. As film Kodak Ektachrome 64 (6X6 format).

    I enclose a picture of a Moray Eel made with this set in Hurghada, Red Sea. Taken with a Rolleinar nr 2 close-up lense (apparent distance 30-50 cm) and single flash. Good luck!

    post-7335-0-34108100-1427312167_thumb.jpg

    Edited by albert kok

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.