Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

A6000 : can I use an external slave TTL flash? on a full M(Menual) mode? an will it work?

Started by Eitan Ben Tsvi ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

A6000 : can I use an external slave TTL flash? on a full M(Menual) mode? an will it work?

7 posts
  1. External slave TTL flashs like the new S&S ys-03, can't worke at "full manual mode" on Canon,pansonic etc.

    only at the P / A or S modes etc.



    Is it different with Sony? A6000 for example?

    Can I set the Camera to M mode - and set the A, the S and the iso values ....and the ttl will work 100% >> smart?



    If yes = how to / flash setup?


    If no / in general = is it possible to set a minimum S value? when I'm on the A mode ?

    or set a minimum A value When I'm on the S mode ?


    THX

    Edited by yaronad
  2. The Sony only has TTL, no manual mode at all so this should work fine. Just remember that Sony's implementation of TTL (on land) is not quite as nice as Canon or Nikon

     

    Bill

  3. In theory, TTL works, in any mode. In practice, the percentage of shots that turn out right with the strobes in TTL is rather low. I'm running twin YS-D1 on my NEX-6, and use the strobes almost exclusively in manual mode. The Sony doesn't know this and still "TTLs", but who cares. But to answer your question verbally, yeah, TTL works all the time, and it's dead simple - put the strobes into TTL mode, and forget about them.

  4. THX ALL! :)

     

    The Sony only has TTL, no manual mode at all so this should work fine. Just remember that Sony's implementation of TTL (on land) is not quite as nice as Canon or Nikon

     

    Bill


    Are you sure? man ? about "no manual mode at all " on the internal flash?
    because you can adjust flash output intensity via the Flash Comp mode,
    which lets you increase or decrease flash output and the amount of flash light, in 1/3 EV steps in a range of –2.0 EV to +2.0 EV.
    (Flash compensation changes the amount of flash light only.
    Exposure compensation changes the amount of flash light along with the change of the shutter speed and aperture.)
    Anyways ,just to make sure: apart of the final outcome quality of the TTL's results - you all say that :
    The Flash Auto mode = Underwater >>> fiber optic >> works!?
    and actually triggers different levels of an external / slave flash ? yes ?
    :)
    And also, does any one know if it is possible to set a minimum S value? when you're on the A mode ?
    or set a minimum A value When you're on the S mode ?
    Many THX!!
  5.  

    The Flash Auto mode = Underwater >>> fiber optic >> works!?

    and actually triggers different levels of an external / slave flash ? yes ?

     

    Yes, with a suitable strobe like the YS-D1, but as I said, I find it unsatisfying.

     

     

    it is possible to set a minimum S value? when you're on the A mode ?

     

    I think not, at least I've never seen a function like that. If someone knows better, I'd be interested, too. I guess you could kind of trigger it by way of the ISO, but that's as complicated as doing everything manually.

  6. -2 to 2 stops on flash compensation is not manual flash control, at least in my opinion since 2 stops is only 1/4 power. Yes you can use TTL mode on the YS03 and it will work some of the time. The reason that I would like to have manual control (I too use the strobes on manual even though the camera is doing TTL) is that after a few shots at full power the strobe recycle time on the camera gets long, presumably because of heat concerns.

    I don't think any camera that can set an S value in A mode, that's why there is manual mode on the camera.

    Bill

  7. OK thx all :)

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.