I regularly travel with the 2x, but don’t actually dive with it as much as the 1.7x, which I prefer. The main uses of the 2x are small fish portraits in clear water, or supermacro shooting, although I tend to favour the 1.7x, these are with the 2x:
Seahorse with no dioptres (D4), showing this combo is very capable in super macro shooting:

Secretary blenny, which is much higher magnification, with dioptres (actually prototypes that were very good, but never released) - D4:

And most commonly for subjects that are best shot from a distance. It is easy to get jawfish with eggs cowering in their holes, but not getting too close is essential to get full body out and swimming and have the male blowing out his eggs to aerate them:

I have used the Nikon 105mm VR and 2x AFS without problems on the following cameras: Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Nikon D750 and Nikon D7100:
D800:

D750:

D7100:

I suspect Nikon don’t advise this combo to save them from complaints with AF function, as when the macro lens is at minimum focus, it restricts light considerably and the virtual aperture (the amount of light coming through) is considerably less than f/2.8. As a result, the AF might be compromised with a 2x which also cuts a lot of light. So it is safer for them to say it doesn’t work, than say it does and have to handle complaints. Although mine is not here, I am almost certainly that the Nikon AF-S 2x teleconverter won’t physically fit onto any of Nikon’s other AF-S macro lenses - so they don’t comment on them.
Alex