Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

GH4 Color Profiles - Which One(s) do you use?

Started by thetrickster ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

GH4 Color Profiles - Which One(s) do you use?

6 posts
  1. This weekend, I got a late call up for a dive on Sunday morning and in a rush I grabbed my GH4 and the 14-42mm.

    I have been planning to get the GH4 down and do some testing with it - actually underwater, but I wasn't quite prepared!!

     

    I've had a go with all the profiles on land, but have a feeling, the differences don't translate to underwater filming.

     

    I was taught that you should shoot as flat as possible and then grade in post, however this is all (in my opinion) absolutely rubbish when dealing with underwater footage, unless you are shooting RAW with a BM camera or similar. We are limited to 8bits and only 4:2:0 - so my current thought is to bake in as much as I can while shooting..

     

    Anyway...

     

    So got down to 25m and the vis was rubbish, but I proceeded to setup my GH4, white balanced off a slate, pointed at the wreck and starting running through all the profiles, recording 10secs a piece - thinking Vivid would be a good one to start with, as its quite contrasty. I was surprised however that the Portrait profile provided some nicer colors, but again is a bit too flat for my liking.

     

    I didn't have time to run through all the profiles and all the iterations (buddy was looking very bored) of shadow/highlight adjustments, contrast, sharpness etc.

    So wondered, if anyone else been through the different profiles and found a gem to use?

  2. I tried CineD and CineV didn't find much difference, I was grading them so it doesn't matter to you. I have quite a bit experience with Panasonic LX-7, took me a couple years to figure it out. If you want nice blue color, use the "Scenery" because it brings out the blue. I tried Natural and the blue seems washed out to me.

  3. I just voted for CineV because that's what I've used on nearly all of my dives so far. A couple weeks ago I accidentally ended up in Vivid and really didn't like the output produced at higher ISO's (lots of Chroma noise ala the old JVC HD1/HD10US cameras). I'm hoping to do some more testing in the near future, especially testing the different color profiles in low light/higher ISOs.

  4. From my limited testing on Sunday, CineV and Vivid look very similar, but you're right its very noisy.

     

    Looking back at my test footage - I really didn't have the right conditions for doing this!

  5. Here is all single frames (in full res) from each ISO (in Natural) and then each Profile at ISO400 (all at +0)

     

    http://1drv.ms/1DCFs4O

     

    (I've saved them as JPGs - but at maximum setting, so hopefully not to mess with them too much)

     

    Sadly the diving conditions were pretty rubbish on Sunday

    Edited by thetrickster
  6. Yeah, I've definitely found that the worse the viz, the worse the noise on the GH4. I think it you have less than 15'/4 meters, it's a macro day!

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.