Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D800 with Nikon 24mm F1.4 GED Prime Lens

Started by RedKane ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

D800 with Nikon 24mm F1.4 GED Prime Lens

3 posts
  1. Hello All,

     

    Does anyone have any experience, thoughts, comments, etc. with this combination? I am thinking of using it in my Subal housing with a 230mm dome with the appropriate port for a wide angle set-up. I have a Sigma 15mm FE lens already and am looking for another wide angle combination in place of using my 16-35 f4 setup. The 16-35 setup is positively buoyant whereas the 15mm is neutrally buoyant. Using the 24mm would reduce the luggage space needs and, hopefully, be closer to neutrally buoyant than the 16-35. I would lose the zoom capabilities of the 16-35 but I have no problems using my fins to "zoom" in and out. So, if the performance of the 24mm is as good or better than the 16-35, then it might be an option. So, I just wanted to explore this option.

     

    Thanks for any feedback.

     

    Karl

     

  2. That’s quite a compromise on focal length, just for a neutrally buoyant housing. If you want a prime lens, how about the 20mm f1.8?

     

     

    Alex

  3. Hi Alex,

     

    I already have the 24 so the only expense would be the port for it. I know I am forfeiting some focal length for this and if I didn't already have the 24, I wouldn't even entertain this. I am primarily concerned on how well the 24 would perform in a 230mm dome, lightening my traveling kit, and a more neutrally buoyant set up. If it doesn't meet these criteria, I wll just pass and continue with my 16-35.

     

    (Now getting the photographer capable of using his setup as well as it can perform is an entirely different matter.)

     

    I saw in a previous post there was some discussion on a similar lens but it was in a smaller dome so I wanted to address this specifically.

     

    Karl

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.