Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Is it possible to test a wet lens above water?

Started by troporobo ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Is it possible to test a wet lens above water?

7 posts
  1. This is possibly a really dumb question (but I'm OK with that): Can I test a Subsee macro lens on my housing without getting in the water? My local retailer has the lenses and i would like to take my camera and lenses and housing to the shop to see whether any combination works for me. I'm a dummy when it comes to lens optics so will appreciate any tips.

  2.  

     

    Can I test a Subsee macro lens on my housing without getting in the water?

    Yes. The Subsee's have flat glass elements at both ends and have the same power in air and water. Other wet close-up lenses which have curved glass elements in contact with the water will yield very different results when used in water and air.

    Edited by Gudge
  3. Thanks a lot for that info - I'm planning to test this weekend

  4. By very different Gudge means that you will not get nearly the magnification underwater that you see in you kitchen.

    Bill

  5. Your dealer may have a demo lens and give you the chance to either:

    - try it while diving maybe renting it
    - use it at least in a bucket or a tank full of water

     

    Chris

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
  6. Hey Robert,

    Just for the record this is why Neptune gave us hot tubs;

     

    post-4526-0-13661600-1428366952_thumb.jpg

     

    A wonderful place to test lenses and with enough wine the pictures look pretty good too.

     

    Good luck,

    Steve

  7. True enough. But I live in the Philippines - not much use for hot tubs here! We do have a swimming pool though.

     

    I was able to test (but only in the shop) both the +5 and +10 with the Olympus 12-50 lens on both macro and normal settings. Neither did what I wanted on that lens. The results are here:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48953&hl=olympus&do=findComment&comment=359057

     

    So I got the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro at last. It is fantastic. I can't believe I waited so long.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.