I've been shooting macro with the Canon 60mm and want to add a 100mm. I figured I'd just get the 100mm F.28 USM but then when I went to buy it I saw that for "only" $350 more I can get the L version with IS. I'll use the lens mostly underwater but may use it some topside for insects or flowers.
Does anyone have any thoughts between the two lens? Is there any disadvantage to the L lens underwater other than the higher price? It would be used in a Nauticam housing. Or should I just stick with the non L version and use the savings for other toys?
If you can afford it get the L version, get it! It's the best macro lens I have owned. The IS is not as effective at macro distances but I keep it on all the time. Super sharp and fast auto focus.
Todd,
Thanks for the info. I'll get the L version. I'll bring it on the two-day Northern Channel Islands trip April 11 & 12 and you can give me some tips.
Rex
When you don't want to crop, or by very little, I think the IS is great for framing in macro...especially in super macro.
Awesome! See you in a few weeks! We will have a nauticam SMC and some other diopters on board if you want to try some super macro. What body are you shooting?
I cannot speak for comparison, but you won't regret the "L" version. Certain lenses just seem to have ,"a certain something about them," a certain indescribable image quality. This is one of those.