Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

8 inch vs mini dome with 10-17 and 1.4X question

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

8 inch vs mini dome with 10-17 and 1.4X question

8 posts
  1. I am heading to Socorro for the first time in the near future and have an equipment question.

    I use a D7000 in a Nauticam housing. When on the trip, will it be more likely to be using the 10-17 alone or with a 1.4x?

    When using the 1.4x, is there any substantial advantage to using an 8 inch acrylic dome over a 4 inch glass mini-dome?

    One reason for the questions – I have the setup with the mini-dome and the 1.4X on the 10-17.

    If I am use the 8 inch dome with the 1.4x, I need to buy a Nauticam 20mm extension. The minidome and its extension are a different brand and use an adpater for them.

     

    Will I gain much using the 8 inch dome over the minidome when using the 1.4X?

     

    Not asking about CFWA applications but rather wide angle applications, which fit Socorro diving.

     

    I can use the 8 inch dome with no extension and no 1.4X with the setup I have.

     

    Trying to decide whether to buy the 20mm Nauticam extension.

    Edited by diver dave1
  2. Hi Dave,

    We just got back from there in Nov and had no problems getting very close to the mantas and whale sharks and dolphins with our stock 10-17 on the 40D and my 8-15 rolled to 15 on my 7D. I don't think you'll need the 1.4X. These first two are Jeff's images made with the 10-17 rolled to 10mm. I think you can expect the water to be the typical eastern pacific blue with good viz but not fantastic. A lot of the images are also at depth, especially if you get out to Roca Partida. It pays to be close.

     

    post-4526-0-19039200-1427250200_thumb.jpg

     

     

    post-4526-0-06490500-1427250198_thumb.jpg

     

     

    I shot the 8-15 mm about half the time at 9mm

     

    post-4526-0-02960400-1427250960_thumb.jpg

     

    and the rest at 15mm

     

    post-4526-0-87255900-1427250956_thumb.jpg

     

    You are going to have a blast!

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

     

     

     

  3. Hi

    I agree, With the Tokina 10-17 you dont need the 1.4. converter. You can zoom in and out. And I would suggest the minidome and get as close as possible. Cheers.

    Edited by albert kok
  4. Thanks for the comments.

    I will plan to leave the 1.4x in the bag. Hoping the manta's get as close as Kona. They rubbed my head as they passed there. It was quite startling when they did that from behind.

     

    Hoping to see hammerheads too but you never know.

  5. I agree that you won't need a TC for the mantas. However, I agree that for sharks the 1.4 gives a bit extra reach. I shot 80% with just my 10-17, but took the 1.4 on most Roca Partida dives since I couldn't get as close to the sharks. I shot the black manta with the TC.

     

    Steve,

    Do you use your 8-15 with a 4" dome? I also have a 7D and thought the 8-15 wouldn't work with the 4" dome.

     

     

    post-4753-0-28748200-1429544738_thumb.jpg

    post-4753-0-47777700-1429544757_thumb.jpg

  6. Hi Johhy,

     

    Nice images! I used the 8-15mm with my 4 inch Zen dome and loved the results. According to the Nauticam port charts you need a 30mm port extension with the the Nauticam 4.33. As always I'd double check with one of our sponsors before any purchase. Some of the Zen domes have changed their length over time like the DP100. Better to check to make sure of the correct extension.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  7. Hi Johhy,

     

    Nice images! I used the 8-15mm with my 4 inch Zen dome and loved the results. According to the Nauticam port charts you need a 30mm port extension with the the Nauticam 4.33. As always I'd double check with one of our sponsors before any purchase. Some of the Zen domes have changed their length over time like the DP100. Better to check to make sure of the correct extension.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Thanks a lot Steve. I'll have to investigate the 8-15 some more. My wallet has been too full lately. The 8-15 may help with that. :)

  8. My wallet has been too full lately.

    Not a bad problem to have :)

     

    I shot my 15mm Sigma with a 1.4 TC a good bit at Socorro, but on a full-frame camera. There were a few times I wished I didn't have it, but for sharks (especially hammerheads) I was glad. On a crop sensor and 10-17 I agree that you don't need it.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.