Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

uwl-h100 dome fog

Started by norinori ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

uwl-h100 dome fog

6 posts
  1. I've had the problem with the dome on the uwl-h100 fogging up when getting in the water before, usually just waiting a bit with the lens in the water would sort it out as the glass cooled.

     

    Today I had the problem that the inner wet lens was fogging up, which took much longer to cool down as it is not exposed directly to water.

     

    Any idea how I can prevent this from happening? I'm assembling the lens in a well air conditioned room...

  2. I've had the problem with the dome on the uwl-h100 fogging up when getting in the water before, usually just waiting a bit with the lens in the water would sort it out as the glass cooled.

     

    Today I had the problem that the inner wet lens was fogging up, which took much longer to cool down as it is not exposed directly to water.

     

    Any idea how I can prevent this from happening? I'm assembling the lens in a well air conditioned room...

    I had similar problem. I got the fog on the internal surface of the dome or front lens under the dome glass. I was trying different techniques including mounting the dome in a special environmental chamber :)

    At the end I did this in the car, so first I setup max heating with internal flow of air .... after some time, when temperature became uncomfortable I switched air-condition to max cooling .... when it became cold then the air should be dry, so I attached the dome on the lens.

    After that there was no more fog inside the dome even when I did diving in cold water.

  3. I suspect that you have an acrylic housing. I used to have the same problem with my Olympus housing.

     

    While using a dry atmosphere (air conditioning) was one solution this was not always possible i.e on a live aboard so I used two other solutions.

     

    1 Use a small pack of desiccant in the housing making sure that it does not interfere with any of the controls.

     

    2 Place a small piece of aluminium foil inside the housing which attracts the moisture

    Edited by browng
  4. It's actually a nauticam aluminium housing, its a wet lens i'm talking about.

     

    The only thing that seems to work is to prevent it from warming up in the first place - I carry it in a AC cooler bag, this time I kept it well sealed and it didnt fog up...

  5. If the air which You closed under the dome will be dry then there is no reason to get any fog at any condition.

  6. Is it the wet lens that is fogging up?

    That sounds more like there is some damp inside the wet lens.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.