Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Water entry with camera

Started by astrl ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Water entry with camera

7 posts
  1. Water entry with camera

    When diving from a boat in strong currents, I was wondering how some of you deal with your camera during your entry. Normally I try to have a someone on the boat lower it to me, but when the currents carry you away from the boat too quickly this isn't possible. I've also been on boats where others didn't want to hand it to me.

     

    So what do YOU do?

     

    astrl

  2. I never do an entry where I have to giant-stride or jump from a dive platform with my camera. I have seen others do it and get away with it but I'm not taking a chance on dislodging an o-ring. If noone is available to hand me my camera I will sit on the edge of the dive platform and lower my rig into the water with one hand while i pushoff and slide into the water with my other hand.

     

    If there is a strong current running, I plan my entry so that I'll be able to grab onto something quickly-- like a current line or the swim platform itself - and not be swept beyond the boat. Try to jump to the side and don't push-off too far. Be ready when you enter and don't screw around....grab on quick.

     

    I have seen others clip their camera off to a line and lower it from the boat but I don't like the idea of my rig bouncing on the end of a line. I have seen them come loose....not good.

     

    Larry

  3. I saw Gerb pull a good trick in Fiji. He had a 2' line with a clip that he clipped off to his housing. The other end had a wrist strap.

     

    He'd stand on the platform, lower the housing into the water, then jump. It seemed to work pretty well (for small boats). On the Fling and Spree, you do a giant stride, hold onto a rope, and then they lower the camera to you (6') on a line.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. I saw Gerb pull a good trick in Fiji.  He had a 2' line with a clip that he clipped off to his housing.  The other end had a wrist strap.

     

    He'd stand on the platform, lower the housing into the water, then jump.  It seemed to work pretty well (for small boats).  

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    One major advantage of this entry is you are hitting the water with an empty BC, there is no struggle to return to the boat for your camera.

    Cuts down congestion on the dive deck too, in the time it would have taken to return for your camera you are already half way to the bottom.

     

     

    Gerb

  5. I saw Gerb pull a good trick in Fiji.  He had a 2' line with a clip that he clipped off to his housing.  The other end had a wrist strap.

     

    He'd stand on the platform, lower the housing into the water, then jump.  It seemed to work pretty well (for small boats).  

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    One major advantage of this entry is you are hitting the water with an empty BC, there is no struggle to return to the boat for your camera.

    Cuts down congestion on the dive deck too, in the time it would have taken to return for your camera you are already half way to the bottom.

     

    Gerb

     

    Is there a chance of landing on the camera if not done properly?

  6.  

    Is there a chance of landing on the camera if not done properly?

     

    I don't think I've ever came close, but couldn't say it's impossible.

    Maybe a little better explanation might help. Standing at the swim step I lower the camera with the leash using my left hand. Strobe arms are clipped so there are no danglies. As the camera touches the water I extend left arm straight out to my side and take a step into the water approx 2 to 3 feet away from the camera. Rig is fairly negative so it is sinking ahead of me until I retrieve it. It's really pretty easy.

     

    Gerb

  7. Hrm... interesting idea, Gerb. I might have to try that. Thanks for the replies!

     

    astrl

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.