Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Color Grading in Premiere Pro, would you use it?

Started by kc_moses ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Color Grading in Premiere Pro, would you use it?

7 posts
  1. Wow! I'm using premiere pro and love it!!

     

    Pardon my ignorance but does color grading is only for RAW?

     

    I use Premiere Pro color correction effects quite intensively but have yet to shoot in RAW :)

     

    Also, when is this new update will be available? I checked my copy and it has not being updated yet.

     

    Bona

  2. Those are "colour correction" tools as much as they are "colour grading tools". And the new tools look really great. They've got me seriously pondering switching from Vegas to Premiere. Not keen on the subscription model though.

     

    Colour correction/grading is not just for RAW. I use it on every single clip I publish, be it DV, HDV or MP4 4K in origin. RAW can take more tinkering without degrading, but I have no problem with my formats. I usually just use a single Sony Color Curves FX in Vegas, but it's really fiddly.

  3. The built in color correction tool in Premiere use to be slow and sucks. So I tried the Davinci Resolve route, which require you to use Premiere to put together your sequence, then run through Davinci to do the color, then run back to Premiere for the final transition editing and publish. Davinci is fast and powerful, and FREE. It's the industry standard for color grading. But the round trip between Davinci and Premiere makes the workflow kind of messy.

     

    With the new update in Premiere, it looks like the built in color correction plug in is faster, so should be good for 4K editing. Not sure when the new Premiere update will be available. It's just announced, so perhaps it's rolling out in the US then to Asia later?

  4. The built in color correction tool in Premiere use to be slow and sucks. So I tried the Davinci Resolve route, which require you to use Premiere to put together your sequence, then run through Davinci to do the color, then run back to Premiere for the final transition editing and publish. Davinci is fast and powerful, and FREE. It's the industry standard for color grading. But the round trip between Davinci and Premiere makes the workflow kind of messy.

     

    With the new update in Premiere, it looks like the built in color correction plug in is faster, so should be good for 4K editing. Not sure when the new Premiere update will be available. It's just announced, so perhaps it's rolling out in the US then to Asia later?

    With Davinci Resolve 11 & now 12 To be released in July you don't really need to use other editors & thus you can do without the round tripping between an editor & resolve. I used 11 and it has got enough editing features for underwater production I believe. And as you said, it is one of the most powerful color grading software on the market.
    Edited by thani
  5. Thanks Thani, I didn't know Resolve 12 will be release soon. I actually play with some of the editing feature in Resolve, after image stabilization, the preview speed in Resolve make it not usable for me to edit clip because I only have 1 GPU, and if I were to use Resolve as my primary editor, I will need to spend another $300 for a 2nd nVidia gpu, preferably the Titan or Quadro line.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.