Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

GoPro video post-processing - recommendations?

Started by Storker ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

GoPro video post-processing - recommendations?

3 posts
  1. Coming from still photography using raw file format and Lightroom post-processing, I'm quite comfortable with having to post-process.

     

    The amount of light available at depth up here makes me want to avoid any use of filters. Right now I'm shooting in 2.7k (to allow for cropping in post), protune on, low sharpening and native color balance. I sometimes use a SOLA 1200 as my (only) light, sometimes only ambient lighting.

     

    For video editing/processing, I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 13. I briefly tried out the GoPro video editor, but the lack of adjustment layers turned me off that program and got me to buy a license for Premiere Elements.

     

    I'm still at the start of my learning curve here, so any tips on alternative/better editing programs, and/or recommended adjustment settings would be appreciated.

     

  2. Welcome to the video world! I guess it really depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for technical information about processing video, or workflow, or storyline? You probably notice that color grading (adjusting) is not common for UW mainly because we don't shoot RAW like photo. Any color adjustment you make will degrade the quality of the video, just like you wouldn't do major adjustment on a jpeg.

     

    If you're looking for information about how to stabilize footage, well, it's still a big challenge for us non-pro shooter. I read that the bigger the housing/set up, the easier to get stabilize footage. I don't know how that work, perhaps someone can explain it from physic aspect.

     

    Editing program wise, it really depends if you're using Mac or PC. Mac people tend to use Final Cut Pro, because Premier could be complex to use.

  3. Well, I understand that heavy color-correction isn't viable with video, but good point. However, using "native" color balance and Protune gives a little more leverage WRT color-correcting before things screw up. Right? And I know that moderate color correction is possible even with JPEG stills.

     

    I'm a PC guy, but Premiere Elements is (AFAIK) the same whether you run it on Win or iOS, right? Premiere Pro is out of the question for financial reasons, but Elements is within my budget (although I hate the "easy" UI...).

     

    I've mounted my GoPro atop my still camera rig, so stabilization isn't much of an issue :innocent:/uploads/2241.gif" />

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.