Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Panasonic GX7 Test Video

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Panasonic GX7 Test Video

6 posts
  1. My first 24p video with a Mirco four this camera

     

     

     

    I found that the filter plus white balance gave me really good colour and as conditions were very bright I had no issues with noise

     

    I used the inon UWL-H100 wet lens and I could zoom through with it.

     

    I also tested the extended tele converter mode that gives 1.8:1 super macro with a close up lens

     

    In hindsight I think the camera does such a good job with contrast and noise reduction that there is. I need to change the default settings as I had to add back contrast in the edit

     

    I found the image quality of the compiled file better than my sony rx100 mark II on my tv but on YouTube the panasonic files seem to suffer more from re-compression

     

    Anyway let me know what you think the video is not particularly fancy but just to give an idea of what can be achieved with wet lenses and micro four thirds

  2. The 24p definitely gives it a different feel to 30p/60p - like they keep saying 'more film like'. It was very similar to watching footage from a documentary, more than a home movie, if you understand me? This is the first time I've actually noticed the effect on underwater footage - I liked the feel. :)

     

    Colours, I think this is personal taste, so what I think is probably wrong!

     

    From the start, I think there is not enough contrast (and maybe a little bit underexposed) and the filter is a little strong.

     

    But, from 1:50 - I love it. deep natural blues and the fish colours were really nice, corner sharpness was pretty good too on the coral.

     

    Really impressed with the AF @ 2:10 - were the shrimp were out of focus, but it snapped straight on to them without any going backwards/forwards.

     

    Moray footage from 3:00 onwards, I feel the Red needs to be knocked back down a little.

     

    Overall very nice!

  3. Interesting. The second and third part are custom white balance the only difference is that the blue is pushed harder in the second section. Am in discussion with Peter rowlands I want a custom magic filter as am not happy with the URPRO yellow hues.

    Thanks for the other observations the contrast I agree I will leave default I dialled it down to -5 and it's not needed the gx7 contrast curve is excellent. The only thing I may want to test is the idynamic mode for the backlit scenes although almost all footage is base ISO

  4. I've used the Magic Filters from Peter and Alex - they are excellent.

  5. Did you use filter when doing custom white balance? The custom white balance with "Scenery" seems too purple to me, while the custom white balance with "Standard" looks right to me. Knowing Panasonic I always found "Scenery" is the profile to use if you want nice blue color. I'm watching it at my office, so the monitor could be off, I will have to watch it again when I get home using my calibrated monitor.

     

    Also, is the water in Sharm El Sheikh the same as in South East Asia? Because if it is, then that would explain why the blue is too much when using "Scenery".

  6. Filter on all the time. My preference is for standard with filter scenery is not too bad but blu are a bit too saturated may be useful in dark waters though

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.