Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Toads - which lens

Started by nortoda1 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Toads - which lens

3 posts
  1. Intend to go diving on Sunday in one of the lakes here in Switzerland. Not normally a great deal of life to shot in these lakes, a few pike, perch etc, howvever there are toads around at the moment and will try to get some images of these guys.

    The question is which lens? I have a D800, nikkor 60mm, 105VR, 16-35 f4 and Sigma 15mm FE, macro port, 170mm optical port and 240mm FE port.

     

    For close ups the 60mm would seem like the obvious choice, however I busted the AF/aperature elctronics by breaking the ribbon cable when I removed the rear element to clean. AAAAAAaaaahhhhh. It had a major piece of fluff inside for some reason. I have yet to try to fix it, if it is even possible. I can still use it with manual focus, but cannot change the aperture UW.

     

    So might give the 105VR a go.

     

    For wide angle I have the 15mm FE for years, and love it. It pairs up nicely with the 170mm dome for close focus on FX. Unfortunately I dont have a 1.4 TC which if I had would definitely be my choice for wide angle.

     

    I only have the 16-35VR F 4 a few months and have not tried it for CFWA. Will I be able to get a tighter image with this lens than the sigma 15? Especially considering especially considering I would be using the 240mm dome port. I could in theory use the 170mm dome, and make do with the reduced corner quality.

  2. Sali!

     

    I would use the 16-35mm and in case crop a bit if you can get near enough and don't have soft corners.
    Swiss toads are rather beefy and the 105mm may be too "macro" and the D800 gives you a broad choice of cropping.

     

    You may do some preliminary tests in the bathtub or similar to check for soft corners and CFWA distance and quality.

     

    The Sigma 15mm is always a good choice, but you need toads they are not shy at all as you need to go very near.

    Chris

  3. Thanks Chris. I did think about testing in the bathtub, as you mention. I'll give it a go we a few if my sons toys ;-)

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.