Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

EM-10 Meikon housing and Oly 60mm?

Started by RC3 ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

EM-10 Meikon housing and Oly 60mm?

16 posts
  1. Have anybody tried this housing? Curious if the 60 mm will fit, since there's no interchangeable port... I have read that the quality of this housings seems better now than when they first started making them.... and Meikon have also announced they will be looking into ports etc.in future housings,. There are already an aluminium housing available for Sony...

    I own both a PM1 with Olympus housing, and a OMD-EM10, and since I mainly do macro the Meikon housing could be a very affordable solution. I'm not yet prepared to spend money for a Nauticam or Ikelite + additional ports, but using the 60mm is a must. A pity not being able to use the 9-18mm & my ZEN port, but since my wife and I have the same gear, we could swap.....

  2. Hi,
    for which lens is the housing?
    If the 12 - 50mm fits in, the 60mm will do as well.
    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  3. Seems they now have several different housings for th EM10.... Some waterproof to 40m and some to 60m. The housings seem to be for the 14-42mm lens, though. The pictures on the site shows one housing with a latch on the top, another without.... So, it's not that easy finding the right one... Asked 2 questions on their FB page, and the one they didn't answer was about the 60mm.

    The 60mm fits in my Olympus PM-1 housing, but that's no guarantee... The 60mm are a little bit longer than the 14-42, diameter aprx the same.

    Since Meikon also makes housing for the other OMD's, I could go for an M5, which go cheap used, but, alreday have the EM10......

    I will try a asking on Alibaba....

  4. Hi,
    an alternative could be the Panasonic 45mm macro.
    Thats a lot shorter...

  5. There is also a new 30 mm macro from Panasonic comming out soon.

  6. Got an anser from Meikon, only fits the 14-42mm....

  7. So, I ordered a Meikon housing for the OMD EM-10. Looks very nice, double O-rings, Red filter 67mm included along with carry strap, etc.. Maybe the buttons are not as ergonomic as on more expensive housings, but real bang for the buck, a little above 200 USD.

    But, it won't fit the 60mm(2.8 Oly Macro , only the 14-42mm IIR. Seems it should be possible for someone with a 3D printer to make an ekstension, as the front glass bezel has screws all around, with an O-ring....just have to find someone willing to try and make one...or 2...:-) Nice with filter threads, so a diopter can be fitted.

    The 60mm seems to be 12-14mm too long for the port. The mechanism for zooming with the kit lens, is 3 plastic wheels with rubber rings on. Seems to work much better than the zoom ring in Olympus housings...had some dives where it was impossible to zoom, because the gears was not aligned.)just worked topside, as usual....)

    Guess the zoom button only will fit lenses with the exact same diameter as the 14-42mm, or maybe some rubberband or velcro around the lens will do... Tried the 9-18mm, but the zoom wheels blocked it. I really think there would be a market for such a cheap housing of this quality, which seems on par with the Olympus housings.(except the interchangeable port, but there is a huge price difference).

    Separate button to pop up the flash...really like that feature:-) Even one for turning the EVF off.

    So , anybody have some hints or ideas for the extension project?

  8. There is also a new 30 mm macro from Panasonic comming out soon.

    Yes, but the diameter may be to big to fit, and the 12-50 is almost as long as the 60mm....

    Edit: Seems different pages gives different measures for the lenses.....so I will take the whole rig to a store where I can try the different lenses.....even if I'm really fond of the 60mm..

    The thing is that I may have to buy to lenses:-) Both my wife and myself dives with identical rigs.......

    Edited by RC3
  9. Hi,
    what about the Panasonic 45mm macro lens?
    Without a zoom gear.....
    Regards,
    Wolfgang

    Edited by trimix125
  10. Hi,

    what about the Panasonic 45mm macro lens?

    Without a zoom gear.....

    Regards,

    Wolfgang

    Unfortunately, both are too wide (62-63mm). I can squeze the 9-18mm Oly in (under 60mm), but the rubber O-rings for the Zoom(14.42), must be removed. Don't think I'll go for WA anyway, as I 'm more into shooting macro.(the port will vignette anyway). I have a PM1 with a ZEN port for WA, which I have not decided 100% if I will sell.....My wife wanted a housing for her EM10 for macro.....and, as said, the Meikon housing seems of good quality. Much better and cheaper than the housing for my former Panazonic TZ10........:-) It should be possible to make a DIY solution, if one have the right tools and material available.......

    Edited by RC3
  11. Better off using a cheap Aquako or Subsee diopter with the 14-42 or getting the Ikelite EM10 housing which is still reasonably priced. If you modify the housing and it leaks you'll lose the camera and lens which cost more than the Ikelite housing. Another option is a second hand EM5 and the Meikon housing which is made for 12-50 so should fit 60mm macro lens.

  12. Better off using a cheap Aquako or Subsee diopter with the 14-42 or getting the Ikelite EM10 housing which is still reasonably priced. If you modify the housing and it leaks you'll lose the camera and lens which cost more than the Ikelite housing. Another option is a second hand EM5 and the Meikon housing which is made for 12-50 so should fit 60mm macro lens.T

    The Ikelite housing is 900 USD, one port 150-250 USD, A used EM10 will be far cheaper.....And, not sure if Inon strobes work directly with Ikelite housings? Already have a swing adapter + diopter, but there is quite a difference between using this combination vs. a macro lens.... I will look more into the Panasonic lenses, and see if it is possible to maybe modify the housing a bit. Guess I will loose the ability to zoom if I want to use the 14-42mm....

  13. Seems I have found someone who can make the extension. If any other M10 owners are interested, PM me¡

     

    Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

  14. Seems I have found someone who can make the extension. If any other M10 owners are interested, PM me¡

     

    Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

    An update regarding the Meikon housing for OMD -EM10:

    I have finally tried the housings underwater. Both the original and the modified one from Bill Liberal,extended for the 60mm macro lens. Need to be more acquainted with the housing controls, though.

    We have 2 housings, and to camera housings, 1 black, 1 silver( should not be that different,but.).

    The Internal flash does not fully extend in the housing, but the flash works with the silver housing....must be different adjustments on the microswitch which turns it on... Temporarily, I disassembled the flash cover to get it working. It's only a few mm difference.... The housings themselves are totally waterproof, no leaks. The leak alarm seem to work as it should. Went off because my silicon gel pack was a bit damp..( humid air down in SE Asia..)

    This setup is going to work out 100%! I have only glued the extensions n on one housing, as I will try out the kit lens with my diopter first.....

     

    Sent fra min SM-T700 via Tapatalk

  15. Finally made it underwater with the Meikon housings.

    4th dive, so I'm starting to get the hang of it..new housing+ OMD em-10 underwater for the first time...

    Cons: Not the housing, which does not leak a drop...and the alarm went off because my silica was a bit damp...

    But I bought the tray and arms, and I have some problems with the ball on the handle, wich comes loose...gonna glue it ot use some loctite..

    Got a Moray shot to share.... 14-42mm Oly, with +5 diopter!

    Will upload some of my wifes photos later, as she has the extension for the 60mm Macro. Guess I will convert mine ASAP...

    A fast edit....

    post-46331-0-90406100-1486133903_thumb.jpg

  16. Hi, i just bought the meikon housing for omd em10.

    Would like to check if anyone have problem using the onboard flash? I cannot fully extend the pop up flash in the housing .. So the flash cannot work.

    If the on board flash cannot work, am i able to use external strobe via the optical cable port?

     

    Thanks!

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.