Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Need Saga +25 info

Started by kc_moses ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

Need Saga +25 info

19 posts
  1. Does anyone come across info about Saga +25 macro diopter, or have used it before? How is it compare to Nauticam SMC or CMC-1?

     

    I need a very strong macro diopter, any recommendation? Beside Saga?

     

    Thanks!

  2. A lot depends on your focus distance needs. Once you get beyond +15 or so the biggest worries are DOF and can you find the critter. I think the CMC is very well designed (at least for my macro lens) and is quite nice optically. I haven't seen the Saga but always worry about CA with such lenses.

    Bill

  3. Thanks Bill,

     

    I actually used a +7 stacked on top of the Nauticam CMC-1. I was trying to shoot sheep nudibranch, the focus distance is not an issue since they don't move much and I can get very close. I'm trying to minimize CA as much as possible, but my primary goal is to have the biggest magnification. I'm shooting with Panasonic LX100 so the longest focal length I can get is 75mm.

     

    I'm shooting video so cropping in is not an option. With the +7 stack on top of the CMC-1, I can only fill a 4mm sheep nudibranch into like 1/8 of my frame.

  4. The CMC should allow you to shoot something 32 mm wide full frame by itself. The problem is that your LX100 is not a very stellar macro shooter. Adding a + 7 to the CMC should get you to something like 30 mm full frame (not a big improvement). The SAGA +25 will get you by itself to something like 30 mm full frame (a bit more than the CMC). Unfortunately the physics of your camera are the fundamental limitation to shooting something that is 4 mm across.

     

    Bill

  5. Thanks Bill! Sound like I probably should schedule my sheep nudibranch hunting dive after I have a new set up, or some how the Nauticam Multiplier will work on the CMC-1, will have to check with people at Reef Photos.

  6. Hi

     

    I can help you ;)

     

    In wich camera you want to use the lens?

     

    In a DSLR it doesn't works, the +25 lens is designed only for compact cameras, and is really awesome in cameras like Sony RX100 (I,II,III) Canon S-series...

     

    Here you can see some pictures of a friend of us who is using a Canon S-100 and the +25 lens

     

    16528926663_0c90374af1_c.jpg

     

    16962292578_3676ba9363_c.jpg

     

    If you are DSLR user, you can use till the +20, is hard to use but with an awesome optical quality.

     

    The lens what more I use are +10 (same power than Subsee) and +15 more powerful than SMC.

     

    Here you can see 2 pictures with my Canon 7D, Canon 100mm macro and +15 lens. No crop.

    13970068210_d37eaecb40_c.jpg

     

    14224575243_9cb27e3a18_c.jpg

     

    And finally, 3 pictures (only with the 100mm, with the +10, and +15)

     

    9648051244_1c045b69b4_c.jpg

     

    9644838205_2af3710305_c.jpg

     

    9648219768_6e883357a2_c.jpg

     

    Hope that pictures can help you

     

    Jordi

  7. Thanks Jordi! That look really promising!! I'm using Panasonic LX100, technically it's a point and shoot but the sensor is M43 size. The zoom only goes up to 75mm. I think the Nauticam SMC is equal to about +15. I have the Nauticam CMC-1 which I think is about +17, that's why I think the Saga +25 a lot strong and meet my need. I will see if I can get my hand on one and play with it.

  8. Hi

     

    Yes, CMC is about +17 but the SMC is about +12.

     

    Saga +25 will works perfect on your camera.

     

    You can find the Saga +25 at Reef Photo, they sell SAGA products and I think they have some unit of this lens. If you need anything else about this lenses, please, let me know.

     

    Best regards from Spain.

     

    Jordi

  9. The +25 will indeed work on the camera, but it will not allow him to shoot a 4 mm beasty full frame, the full frame resolution is like 60 mm wide and a + 25 will take that to at best 24 or so, not enough for the original requirement.

    Bill

  10. Thanks for all the information. I guess it's best to illustrate the problem I have now. These are the two shots I have.

     

    This one is shot with Nauticam CMC-1 and 75mm with my Panasonic LX100, the nudibranch is about 2mm I believe:

    sheep_nudi01.jpg

     

    This one is shot with Nauticam CMC-1 with a Bluewater +7, the nudibranch is probably a bit over 3-4mm.

    sheep_nudi02.jpg

     

    I shoot 4K video and output to 4K, so cropping is not an option (compare to still). I don't expect to fill the whole screen with subject this size, so I would take any better magnification I can. I'm hoping people won't have to squint their eyes to see it. So, how much of an improvement would I get from the Saga+25?

     

    Thanks again for all the information you could provide!

  11. Based on my calculations, I think you will get 2.5 x magnification. That means that your 4 mm nudi will look like it is 10 mm. The big problem you are starting out with is that your camera doesn't really have macro capabilities. Compared to the CMC, you should see a tiny (2.5/2.3) effect of about a 9% increase.

    Bill

  12. Thanks Bill, since the Saga +25 is about 9% increase to the CMC, I think I'm better off stacking something on top of the CMC. From this point, it's just a matter of which one stack better on the CMC. Time to see if any of my buddies have Subsee +10 or something around that strength.

  13. I will be back in Sardinia end of month and then i will have time and dive conditions to do extensive tests with the LX100 and my SubSee +10.

    If you come over i will be happy to borrow you my Subsee +10.

     

    In any case, the LX100 is not very good to do macro, but i am still happy with the overall performance and the 4K capability of the camera.
    it would be interesting to stack 2 SubSee +10 or the Saga +25 to see if the camera (and the operator) can handle that in a useful way.

     

    Chris

  14. I will be back in Sardinia end of month and then i will have time and dive conditions to do extensive tests with the LX100 and my SubSee +10.

    If you come over i will be happy to borrow you my Subsee +10.

     

    In any case, the LX100 is not very good to do macro, but i am still happy with the overall performance and the 4K capability of the camera.

    it would be interesting to stack 2 SubSee +10 or the Saga +25 to see if the camera (and the operator) can handle that in a useful way.

     

    Chris

    hello,

    did you try with stacking several macro wet lenses on the lx100. i am about to get an lx10 and was looking in the macro possibilities. Unfortunately with 72mm max it is not very versatile and i am really wondering if it is worth it...

  15. Stacking is interesting but you will run into physics. Large magnification but you will soon run out of working room and lighting will be very tough.

    Bill

  16. Stacking is interesting but you will run into physics. Large magnification but you will soon run out of working room and lighting will be very tough.

    Bill

    yes, that is why i need someone that has done it to tell me if it is something usable and feasible. with the current market, from the advanced compact cameras the only usable for macro is rx100ii with the 28-100mm. I personally don't like the image quality compared to the lx10, and it is a bit old and housing might be an issue to get. that is why i was wondering if i can compensate the 28mm difference between the lx10 and rx100ii by stacking for example an cmc-1 and saga +25...

     

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  17. Try it on your kitchen table. I think you will not be as happy as the calculations suggest.

    Bill

  18. Try it on your kitchen table. I think you will not be as happy as the calculations suggest.

    Bill

    And what exactly made you think I would rather engage in pointless discussion with you, instead of testing it myself if I could?

     

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.