Since getting the Zen dome for my Olympus 9-18mm lens I have been disappointed with softness/distortion mainly towards the edges. I have just realised something though that I am surprised I hadn't picked up on sooner.
It is the JPEG images that show this distortion and it is much less evident (maybe non-existent) in the RAW images.
Here is a link to an example. If you flick backwards and forwards between the two images quickly the distortion of the diver in the left corner becomes quite obvious.
https://picasaweb.google.com/118038872344502304872/LensDistortion?authkey=Gv1sRgCKemycSdo8LQBQ#
I am a bit puzzled by this as it seems to be the opposite of what happens above water. My understanding is that the Olympus cameras correct for any barrel distortion in the JPEG. I have seen this in my photos where for example an horizon may be straight in the JPEG photo but curved in the RAW equivalent. This leaves me wondering if somehow the dome is 'tricking' the sytem and the camera is causing distortion rather than correcting it?????
Have others noticed this issue and any thoughts on why it is just the JPEG where this is happening?
Looks like I am going to have to improve my Photoshop skills so I can stick with using the distortion free RAW images!
