Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which Nikon 60mm on FX

Started by nortoda1 ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Which Nikon 60mm on FX

11 posts
  1. In a bit of a dilema. I have owned the nikon 60mm f 2.8 D for about a decade and have loved that lense on DX. A couple of months ago I noticed a huge lump of fluff had managed to get on the inside of the rear element. On hearing that getting these things taken apart to get cleanied can be more than the value of the lense I decided to have a go myself.

    I got the lense apart, but in doing so I severed a ribbon cable that is the communication between the camera and the lense, aaaaaahhhhhhhh. I put the lense back together again and it functions manually. I have the focus gear so focus is not a big issue, however I cannot change the aperature u/w which is a pain.

     

    Now to the choices. I moved to FX last year and have the 105VR for macro and super macro, and the Sigma 15mm FE and nikon 16-35 F for wide angle. Do i get the nikon 60mm f 2.8 D or the G to compliment what I already have? I hear the G has 1" less working space, but perhaps this is not such an issue as if I wanted to shot macro I can use the 105VR. It is more for medium size fish/amphibians Im thinking about.

     

  2. Hi Nortoda1

     

    With DX the Nikkor 60mm was my most used lens (for macro of course) although I had the 105mm too.

     

    I switched to FX last year and now find the Nikkor 105mm is The Lens. My 60mm sadly succumbed to mould growth - and I have not replaced it and don't miss it. But I loved that lens. 60mm lens, RIP.

     

    Like you I also have the Sigma 15mm and Nikkor 16-35 but for the most part, the 15mm and the 105 are the lenses I use.

  3. I still use my 60mm on a full frame rig for fish portraits, and larger macro subjects in turbid water.

  4. Thanks Tim. Diverdoug1, which version are you using the D or G?

  5. 60mm AF-S on Nikon D800, great for portraits

     

     

    9444619209_a54aa3aca0_o.jpg

  6. I still use my 60/2.8D on FX behind the port my 105 goes in (Nauticam macro port 87). I like that lens a lot, though it gets used on land (product photos etc) more than underwater since I tend to use the 105 more.

  7. Great shot Alex. The G is sounding tempting.

  8. I am using the G

    I can't say I am ever tempted to reach for the old aperture ring.

  9. I forgot to mention this: using the 60/2.8D in the Macro Port 87 does present one fairly important issue - use of a SMC or other strong wet diopter = no go, unless you want to crop a lot.

  10. I love using afs versions instead of these two older D versions. Personally I found afs is sharper and the color more saturated

  11. Amazing fast autofocus in 60 G version, more fast than in 105 VR, and faster than the old 60D.

    I believe that it is an important skill (specially in uw macro). Anyway, the sea lion Tattersall's portrait is here to demostrate how important is a fast focusing. 60G is a great tool.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.