Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Does my color right? Nusa Penida WA shoot with GH4

Started by bonadjalins ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Does my color right? Nusa Penida WA shoot with GH4

6 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I played around with Premiere Pro color effect and I just love it. I think I'm bit carried away with the color, but with the vibrant color of the Nusa Penida underwater realm (shoot at Manta Point and Crystal Bay) I cannot help it but bump the saturation way too much.

     

    Here's the clip:

     

    Please excuse the camera shake, I'm still learning for a steady shoot. :)

     

    As always, critics and comments besides the color and the camera shake are always welcome.

     

    Thanks for watching,

    Bona

     

     

  2. Bona,

     

    Did you shoot custom white balance the whole time? The Manta ray clip sure doesn't look like it, while the other clips seems fine in term of coral color, but the blue water is on the purple side, and when looking at the diver's mask band, it appear you took the color too far.

  3. Hi all,

     

    I played around with Premiere Pro color effect and I just love it. I think I'm bit carried away with the color, but with the vibrant color of the Nusa Penida underwater realm (shoot at Manta Point and Crystal Bay) I cannot help it but bump the saturation way too much.

     

    As always, critics and comments besides the color and the camera shake are always welcome.

     

    Thanks for watching,

    Bona

     

     

     

    Hi Bona,

     

    Colour is very much a matter for personal taste. Some people love to see the reds pushed to the max. For me personally, i prefer to get the colour as close as what it looked like, to my eyes, underwater. So, I would not have pushed the reds and the saturation as far as you did. I call that look the tourist brochure colour space.

     

    But, I repeat, it is personal choice and if that's the look you were aiming for, then you should be happy.

     

    Regards

    Peter

    Edited by peterbkk
  4. You have a bit too much purple tint. I sit in the middle of the camp as I use filters with or without custom white balance. I don't want the clips to look as my eyes saw it as otherwise they would look green and blue unless I have lights but also not to exceed on the other side. I don't change saturation in post never. If you didn't have a filter and you are not happy with the colours after custom white balance you may need to change the picture settings to push blue further. If I do any editing is sometimes to remove the cast not to push the colours further

  5. At a glance, your underwater clips, apart from the manta ray, are lacking in green. Which is the same as saying too purple.

     

    Learn and use your video scopes as soon as you can, so you really understand what effect your adjustments are having; especially to see when any clipping occurs.

  6. Hi all,

     

    Bona,

     

    Did you shoot custom white balance the whole time? The Manta ray clip sure doesn't look like it, while the other clips seems fine in term of coral color, but the blue water is on the purple side, and when looking at the diver's mask band, it appear you took the color too far.

     

    Yes, most of the time on this clip I was using custom white balance with white slate. From my short experience, if I use auto WB the result will just be blue, and if I use custom WB the result will be more red. I was recording with MP4 format, and with auto WB not much I can do in post to adjust to saturation for my taste. But with custom WB I still can adjust the color to my liking. My plan next time is to record with MOV format and using custom WB.

     

    Will not push the color too much next time, but just can't help it :)

     

     

     

    Hi Bona,

     

    Colour is very much a matter for personal taste. Some people love to see the reds pushed to the max. For me personally, i prefer to get the colour as close as what it looked like, to my eyes, underwater. So, I would not have pushed the reds and the saturation as far as you did. I call that look the tourist brochure colour space.

     

    But, I repeat, it is personal choice and if that's the look you were aiming for, then you should be happy.

     

    Regards

    Peter

     

    Hi Peter, thanks for commenting!

     

    Haha, yes, coming from the enthusiast point of view, I think I tend to exaggerate what I've seen down bellow, :rolleyes: as I think at this point in time my clip is still in the "family vacation video" category with the "tourist brochure" color space.

     

    Personally, I do like a saturated color with strong contrast, and I do like the capability that Premiere Pro has to achieve that. But for sure I do need some feedback here and there as mostly my family never gives constructive criticism on my video.. :D

     

     

    You have a bit too much purple tint. I sit in the middle of the camp as I use filters with or without custom white balance. I don't want the clips to look as my eyes saw it as otherwise they would look green and blue unless I have lights but also not to exceed on the other side. I don't change saturation in post never. If you didn't have a filter and you are not happy with the colours after custom white balance you may need to change the picture settings to push blue further. If I do any editing is sometimes to remove the cast not to push the colours further

     

    Thanks Interceptor! Good point, will keep that in mind.

     

     

    At a glance, your underwater clips, apart from the manta ray, are lacking in green. Which is the same as saying too purple.

     

    Learn and use your video scopes as soon as you can, so you really understand what effect your adjustments are having; especially to see when any clipping occurs.

     

    Thanks Nick, yes will do that. Being in a early stage of video editing I still learning how the color is so related to one another. You can not adjust one without effecting the other. For example, the purple cast on the background, no way I can reduce it with out any other color got effected.

     

    Will keep learning and post my clip here from time to time to get some good feedback for sure :wub:

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.