Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Subal DP-230 dome port benefits against DP-FE

Started by JuhaP ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Subal DP-230 dome port benefits against DP-FE

4 posts
  1. Are there any image quality benefits of using the Subal DP-230 dome port against using the Subal DP-FE dome port on a Nikon full frame DSLR (Nikon D4) when the following lenses are used:

    • Sigma 15mm lens (compatibility chart from Subal does only list DP-FE): Any experience on how it will work with Subal DP-230 dome?
    • Nikon AF-s 16-35mm / 4.0G ED VR: Any considerable image quality benefits of using Subal DP-230 rather than DP-FE that I have been using in the past?
  2. Hi Juha

     

    I've just switched from the DP-FE to the DP-230 and have both lenses you mention.

     

    Without question the DP-230 is much better for edge sharpness with the Nikkor 16-35 than the DP-FE. It still needs +2 diopter.

     

    I don't think there's any difference when using the 15mmFE.

     

    Additionally there are a couple of issues with the DP-230 I've found. The one inch bigger dome makes a huge difference in terms of port size and weight. Don't be fooled by the just-one-inch difference. It's heavy and bulky.

     

    Secondly, if you are using fibre optic cables with the 15mm, they are slightly tricky to squeeze in between the frame of the DP-230 and the housing and need to be installed before fitting the domeport; and the domeport needs to be twisted carefully when clicked into pace to avoid pulling the fibre cables out.

     

    If I was planning it all again, I may be tempted just to use the 15mm and DP-FE and not the 16-35/90EXR/DP-230 just so much easier for travelling.

  3. Thanks Tim,

     

    The reasoning of my question was to figure out if there is enough good reasons that would overpower the negative points of increased size and weight. I am using Nikon D4 and electric cables so the fibers will not be the issue in my case. If there are no real image quality benefits when using Sigma 15mm it's hard to find good reasoning for additional investment.

  4. If you're only using the Sigma15mmFE I wouldn't move to the DP-230, I'd use the DP-FE. I can't see any advantage to the DP-230 in those circumstances.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.