Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Recommend a full frame Canon rectilinear lens ?

Started by Cal ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Recommend a full frame Canon rectilinear lens ?

12 posts
  1. Hey Crew,

     

    I've been assembling a new rig for underwater model work.

     

    I've got a 5D M ii with an ikelite housing.

     

    Can anyone recommend a great full frame rectilinear lens?

     

    Thanks!

    Edited by Cal
  2. Hi Cal,

    I've seen a lot of positive info on the newer 16 - 35 f/4. You'd need a big dome and a fairly long extension (70mm depending on the dome) to get the corners sharp but it's a fantastic lens for the money. I haven't taken mine underwater so I'm just going on reports but I love mine on my 5D MkIII on land. Good luck!

     

    Check to make sure it will fit your Ike housing.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. Awesome. I'll check it out.

     

    Thanks Steve!

  4. Hey Liz! Awesome shots on your website.

     

    Sadly the 14mm is a little out of my price range but otherwise is exactly what I was after. What setup and dome port and you using with that? I'll look into hiring one when I need it for commercial gigs.

  5. Aquatica and an 8" plastic dome with extra scratches in it. You can definitely see them in those cave pics I linked...might be time for (yet another) new dome port. I'm also very interested in what Alex M is doing with the converter ports, would be great to see that commercialised or at least slightly more available. At the moment I usually shoot above f8 to ensure sharpish corners.

     

    If the ikelite port extensions are the same for whatever you get and the 14mm I would definitely hire one for certain jobs. There are times when you can't back up any further and the extra field of view makes a difference. And maybe consider ex-rental or the secondhand market for cheap sources?

  6. I'm really enjoying the Canon 16-35 f4. It is sharp, fast focusing and great colors. Here is a hammerhead off Bimini taken about a month ago. I can also recommend the 8-15 fisheye. The shot is with a Canon 7D in a Nauticam housing. I'm using the Ike 8" dome and port with a Nauticam adapter. Can't wait to house my 5D Mk III in the future. The particulars are: F8, /125th, ISO 160 taken at 24mm.

     

    post-23255-0-95729600-1432158247_thumb.jpg

  7. I use the Canon 8-15mm F4L. It is a fun lens and find you can get some great shots with it however there are a few potential points to be aware with it. Firstly it really is super ultra wide (weitwinkel) angle and at the 8mm it is full fisheye. Depending on what you are wanting to shoot this can obviously be a concern as you need to be able to get extremely close to the subject. It is also not the sharpest lens in the canon line up and you need to try to keep it above F8. Also due to the extreme wide angle when checking the focus on camera make sure you really zoom in.

     

    I have also heard good things about the 16-35mm and I would have thought that for a modeling shoot it would probably be better suited than the 8-15mm. It is reportedly also slightly sharper as well.

     

    As is always the case, a prime is going to be a sharper lens. The 14mm f/2.8L II USM is a beautiful bit of glass but also on the pricey side and then at the slightly less ultra ultra wide (weitwinkel) angle side the 24mm f/1.4L II USM and then also the 35mm f/1.4L USM. Haven't used those last 2 so couldn't comment on their performance.

     

    Good luck and have fun!

    Edited by wbk
  8. The 24mm f/1.4 works very well behind a large dome - avoid the 20mm f/2.8 (poor on digital above water in my experience).

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.