Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam CMC with Canon 60mm

Started by jemery ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam CMC with Canon 60mm

11 posts
  1. Hello, this is my first post so hope I am in the right place for this question.

     

    I have a Canon 7D in a Nauticam housing, set up with a Canon 60mm macro and Nauticam Port 41.

    I love the versatility of the 60mm but would like to do some super macro shots.

    I was first looking at purchasing the Nauticam SMC but was told by a few pro's that its not a good set up and I would be better off purchsing the Nauticam CMC.

     

    Has anyone used the CMC with a canon 60mm and could you tell me or even show me some results?

     

    Thanks, James

  2. I don't know what pro told you that the SMC wasn't a good fit for the 60, works fine for me, the CMC has a bit more magnification. I will post some pics using the two tonight.

    Bill

  3. I just shot some pictures of a metric ruler with the 60 macro, the +5 SubSee, the SMC and the CMC. This was shot on a tripod with the camera/housing on a slider so I could really get to 1:1. Hand held underwater your mileage will be different.

     

    60 macro alone I get a 23 mm in the frame (should be 22.2)

    With the +5 SubSee I get 16 mm

    With the SMC I get 13.5 mm or so

    With the CMC I get 10.5 mm or so.

     

    Hope this helps

    Bill

  4. Bill, what was the working distance between the SMC and the CMC?

    Thanks,

    Todd

  5.  

    bvanant Thanks for the reply, would you be able to post the pictures? Does the image go soft?

     

  6. I will post them later tonight, didn't go soft but DOF was quite small. Working distance for the cmc was about 10 mm or so, unlike the Oly 60 on u4/3 the working distance with the 60 gets much shorter. The SMC was about 14 mm working (I didn't measure them).

    BIll

  7. While visiting this subject, what would be preferred with the Canon 60mm (and a T3i), the SMC or the SubSee +5 ?

  8. If its of any interest Jeremy I have a smc lens for sale.

  9. While visiting this subject, what would be preferred with the Canon 60mm (and a T3i), the SMC or the SubSee +5 ?

    I haven't tried the SMC with a 60mm but the subsee +5 is really useful. The problem with the 60mm is the working distance is already really short so if your interested in shooting very small subjects the 100mm with diopters might be better. There is a chart in this article comparing the subsees and SMC with the 100mm. This is with a full frame camera so you would have tighter framing with your camera.

    https://samysunderwater.wordpress.com/2014/04/28/super-macro-beyond-small/

  10. Hey Todd, first off it is great to hear from you! Jessica grabs that 100mm before I get a chance sometimes so I forgot to mention we have one of those too. Looking at the link you posted it would seem that a 100mm with the SMC would be a sweet combo for her macro stuff?

    We are heading to the "Forgotten Islands" this fall so I want to make sure we have all the fun stuff we need.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.