Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Mating Rhinopias

Started by S-K ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Mating Rhinopias

8 posts
  1.  

    Would love to know if anyone else has seen or filmed this behaviour before. Cant find anything on tinterweb.

     

  2. Amazing, and a really exciting observation! Never seen this behaviour before and I'm sure this will be of great interest to ichthyologists. Rhinopias eschmeyeri (paddle flap scorpionfish) and Rhinopias frondosa (weedy scorpionfish) are still accepted as different species, but some have speculated that they are 2 different morphotypes of the same species, as they are so often seen in the same locality. I'm no scientist, but your footage appears to prove that. Do you mind if I share this around to some fishy scientists and groups?

  3. Share away Nick and thanks for the info, would be interested to hear what scientists make of this. To add a bit more info. The mating happened immediately after sunset, roughly same time as mandarin fish do their thing. The weedy was following the paddle flap so I suspect the paddle flap was the female, it also looks like it was the paddle flap that released the eggs.

  4. Well done Steffan, amazing capture

  5. Thanks Steffan. I'll send an email to Gerry Allen, and also to Teresa Zubi, who has info on this at http://www.starfish.ch/collection/rhinopias.html. Will put on a couple of groups/forums too, and see what people say.

     

    Where was it shot?

    Edited by Nick Hope
  6. Very cool! I have not see it filmed before.

     

    Alex

  7. Absolutely amazing. Well done!

  8. Gerry Allen's answer included this:

     

    "Looks like those are most likely male & female of a single species, so most interesting for sure. If this is the case the earlier name would be the valid one."

     

    Rhinopias frondosa was described in 1892, and Rhinopias eschmeyeri in 1977, so R. frondosa would presumably be the valid name.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.