Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

GoPro Macro Lenses- Anyone have any experience with them?

Started by aquafiles ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

GoPro Macro Lenses- Anyone have any experience with them?

6 posts
  1. Has anyone on this board used a GoPro macro lens- Either the macro-mate or the polar? Usually I'm not a huge fan of the GoPros but it's what I have for a trip starting Monday and I'm curious if anyone has had decent macro results with one.

    Edited by aquafiles
  2. You can get pretty nice results from them if you use the focus stick religiously, the depth of field with them is ridiculously shallow and you need to be at just the right distance. that being said, if you nail the distance the results are quite nice.

    BIll

  3. The f stop on a gopro is 2.8

  4. True, but DOF with the diopter is still quite small, we got lots of out of focus stuff trying to use it.

    BIll

  5. I used the nice one from Backscatter (macro mate mini) with not so good results. I found that it caused strong deforming all around the edges. I used one from Polar-Pro once before I sold it. The optics were quite poor.

  6. I used the Macromate on our trip to Komodo in April this year and got a few seconds of well focused shots of a pregnant pygmy seahorse and some other small stuff. Having said that - and as others already mentioned - it has a very limited distance-range where you are in focus (about 5cm from the subject). If you move just 1cm closer or further away, you'll get washed results.

     

    In summary I'd say its tough to get good footage with it.

    Edited by bubffm
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.