Hi Gudge. Thanks so much for bringing that thread to my attention. A previous search didn't pull that one up for me.
It really is a sad state of affairs. All I can advise is that underwater photographers do not work with Asian Diver Magazine, unless you like working for free.
10 days ago I got a "invoice has been approved". Oh, but the paypal transfer that we were going to do is not available so we can wire the transfer to you and you will have to pay all of the local bank charges yourself. I passed on my bank information and now it has all gone quiet again...
I believe this is very unethical treatment by a dive magazine. Unfortunately it's not the first time I have been subjected to the "if we let this drag out long enough eventually the underwater photographer will get sick of chasing the money and we won't have to pay at all" policy. It makes me sad, and I'm one of the lucky ones who has a day job to rely on to eat. I hate to think how underwater photographers trying to make a living from this are getting on. Hopefully they've nailed down a list of the legit operators.