Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Shooting Video with Sony a6000 in Nauticam

Started by Colin Snow ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Shooting Video with Sony a6000 in Nauticam

8 posts
  1. I spent a week in Aniloa at Aiyanar Beach and Dive Resort shooting with a Sony a6000 in Nauticam housing. Setup included:

     

    Zoom - Sony 18-55mm lens in N85 Flat Port 72

    Macro - Inon UCL for macro in M67 Flip Diopter Holder

    Wide - Sony 16mm + Fisheye converter in N85 4.33 inch Fisheye Dome Port

    2 Intovatec 2500 lights

    Nauticam Flextray with Ultralight ball arms

     

    Overall the rig is heavy and I ended up putting 12 StiX Buoyancy floats on the arms.

     

    Videos here:

     

    https://vimeo.com/124075881

     

    https://vimeo.com/125426894

     

    https://vimeo.com/129053842

     

    Edits in Adobe After Affects and Premier Pro CC 2014. No post production stabilization.

     

    Most of this was shot in 1080/60p at 1/125 sec and Auto ISO. I varied the F-stop depended on the type of shot (zoom, macro, wide). Since I was shooting video I used the U/W White Balance setting. For the most part it was OK, but in almost all the clips still had to make color adjustments.

     

    Also, I noticed the wide shots (16mm + Fisheye converter in the Dome Port) were not sharp / out of focus on the edges. For some of those clips where it was really noticeable I had to crop about 5-10%

     

    I find the lights are pretty good, but I did notice a shutter effect at night when both lights were on high. If I backed one down it seemed to go away.

     

    post-42833-0-22461700-1436660877_thumb.jpg

     

    Edited by Colin Snow
  2. thanks for putting this up as i'm looking at the a6000 and it's looking good to me

  3. Cheers. Correction to post above. I used 8 floats - not 12. 3 on the long arm; 1 on the short arm for each side. That made it only slightly negative buoyant.

     

    I'm MacGyvering a tripod for the Flextray using Ultralight balls and arms. Will post that when done.

    Edited by Colin Snow
  4. a question on the housing, how easy is it to operate with a 5mm gloved hand

  5. a question on the housing, how easy is it to operate with a 5mm gloved hand

    I haven't tried it so I cant say for certain. Zoom and shutter would seem me to be easy since the knob and button is large. But changing settings has smaller buttons which might be more challenging.

  6. i've been useing mine for four months now ( has the trigger on the flex tray ) and all is good.

  7. I have this housing for sale. See the Classified section for the listing and link to eBay

  8. Regarding the 16mm + Fisheye converter being out of focus on the edges, do you know what aperture you were using? If made the aperture smaller would the edges come into focus at all?

     

    I wouldn't have even noticed the edges unless you mentioned it.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.