Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Go Pro Hero 4 still image question

Started by maia ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Go Pro Hero 4 still image question

5 posts
  1. Hello!

     

    I am shooting with my first GoPro and am interested in patterns created by breaking waves. I don't seem to be able to get sharp images and wonder if anyone has suggestions. It does not seem to be a minimum focusing distance problem as it only happens underwater.

     

    Thanks!!

    post-51606-0-49240100-1438544913_thumb.jpg

    post-51606-0-61946800-1438545029_thumb.jpg

  2. It may be a shutter speed issue-can you let us know what the camera shot these at?

     

    If you can read the metadata via Photoshop or Lightroom, it will tell us.

     

    Adam

  3. Unfortunately GoPros work virtually flawlessly above water but the results underwater especially in regards to clarity and detail are lack luster. Take Ragged tooth/Grey Nurse/Sand tiger sharks for example. Even with lighting the cameras are just not good enough to pick up the unique spot patterns which even the most humble point and shoot can. I would look at getting a dedicated still camera. The Olympus tough series would be ideal for you as they are waterproof without the need for a housing. The latest model is the TG4 but I am sure you will have no issue finding a TG1,2 or 3 on Ebay for much cheaper if price is an issue.

  4. Does the GoPro 4 focus and have ajustable shutter speed?

    I thought the GoPro have a fixfocus lens :pardon:

     

    But in any case, it seems to me that shutter speed is too low and the photos are blurry because of movement.

     

    Chris

  5. Does the GoPro 4 focus and have ajustable shutter speed?

    I thought the GoPro have a fixfocus lens :pardon:

     

    But in any case, it seems to me that shutter speed is too low and the photos are blurry because of movement.

     

    Chris

     

     

     

    No, there is nothing to adjust on a GoPro. They are ok for video underwater (I used them for three years but now upgraded to a Sony RX100iv). I always considered them to be pretty useless for photo, specially underwater due to the lack of settings to change.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.