Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Baking sharks: Tokina 10-17mm FE or canon 10-22mm

Started by Cerianthus ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Baking sharks: Tokina 10-17mm FE or canon 10-22mm

6 posts
  1. Well not much to add to the title. I am joining a trip in Scotland looking for baskers ( I know they might not be there).

     

    I am wondering what lens would work best for a cropped sensor 70d

     

    Off course I mean basking sharks. Must be the bake off that my wife is watching

    Edited by Cerianthus
  2. 10-17mm and buttercream

  3. Absolutely a 10-17 will work and if you are having a good day out there in Scotland, you can even push an 8-15! I just got back a week ago from a basking shark trip off of the Isle of Mull and used a 10-17 all week. There was a couple of times that I wished I had the 8-15!!

     

    Good luck.

  4. I was going to tease you about cooking and eating sharks, but you caught it yourself. Funny typo, though.

  5. All right. The tokina is my standaard wa lens. I have the port extension for the other lens but almost never use it, strange edges even with a diopter.

     

    I might miss them since I will be there at the end of the season.

  6. My experience is 10-17 if you are going to get reasonably close. Great lens. 10-22 with a +2 diopter if you need the range. The diopter really sharpens up the corners. A second to Steve's 8-15 recommendation. Tack sharp on a crop, but the 10-17 is close to it's equal.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.