Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Testing Panasonic 14-42mm with Wet Wide Lens

Started by Edward Lai ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Testing Panasonic 14-42mm with Wet Wide Lens

4 posts
  1. We received some inquiry recently about whether there is a possible solution for using a wet wide lens with the Panasonic and/or Olympus 14-42mm lenses, and I would like to share some photos I shot with a prototype wet wide lens during a test we carried out in May this year. When working with the 14mm end of the lens the FOV was 120° then and we were able to increase it to 130° now.

     

    The entire gallery is here: https://nauticam.smugmug.com/HousingTests/NA-EM5II/

     

    P5110234-L.jpg

     

    P5110271-L.jpg

     

    P5110252-L.jpg

    Edited by Edward Lai
  2. Edward what ports have been used in your test for the 14-42 is this the power zoom lens? The lens provided as kit lens for the new cameras in Europe and U.S. Is the new mark II and fits in the macro 35 port this lens is superior to the power zoom version and to the Olympus 14/42, I have used this lens with a 3D printed zoom gear on the Panasonic GX7 with Inon UWL-H100. Performance is good in terms of sharpness similar to Olympus 9-18 but chromatic aberration is not good. Your lens seems better looking at your examples. One good feature with Inon is that you can zoom through the lens and use it at all focal lengths. I already mentioned to Alex tattersall that you should produce a zoom gear for the Panasonic 14-42 mega ois mark II, this is a fine lens currently not in your port chart and is the best candidate for wet lenses especially for video due to the zoom through support

    Edited by Interceptor121
  3. Hi Interceptor,

     

    I used the PZ Panasonic 14-42 with a flat port shortened to 29mm. The macro 35 port will fit very well with the new Panasonic 14-42 mark II, and our zoom gear will be shipping soon. I look forward to sending you our lens in less than 2 weeks so that you can experience various aspect of this lens personally (sharpness, contrast, close focus and lack of CA/distortion etc.). Zooming through the lens is no problem.

     

    Would it be fine to send the lens to Alex T and let him arrange local delivery?

     

    Edward

  4. Of course you can send to Alex. Last time we tried to send my lens on loan for developing prototype gear but it was too late so I had to buy 3D print. Is it possible also to remove the dome from the lens? For video I prefer rectilinear image and also makes it possible to install push on filters. Maybe we can discuss this after I see how the lens is built

    Edited by Interceptor121
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.