Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Using nalgene or latched acrylic jar to put your non-waterproof torch?

Started by swingninja ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Using nalgene or latched acrylic jar to put your non-waterproof torch?

10 posts
  1. I use pelican cases, they come in many different sizes and are waterproof

    I have had one down to about 30 m in my BCD pocket without problems, but I do not believe it is rated as such.

     

    Elmer

    Edited by eyu
  2. I use nalgene bottles for caving and sump diving (3m - 10m deep) and they are relatively robust and waterproof. I also use pelican cases which are more indestructible, but even a small-ish pelican case will flood at depth - the cubic shape doesn't compress well. I left mine at 6m for two hours to test it and it had four or five tablespoons of water in it afterward.

     

    For that kind of depth I would suggest an old light canister of the type that had a battery and the light head connected by a cable. Remove battery and cable, find some way of blocking the cable gland, et voila, dry tube. You may have an old lead acid battery-powered dive light in your garage, or know someone who does. Don't forget that containers of air will float underwater. You may need some extra lead and a way of storing the floating part such that it doesn't get in your way.

  3. Sump diving? I really hope that means something different "down under"...

  4. Has anyone ever used a nalgene HDPE bottle (http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Mouth-Bottle-Clear-48-Ounce/dp/B001E6K7V6/) or latched acrylic jar (http://www.walmart.com/ip/San-130-oz-Acrylic-Latch-Jar-Clear/39082929) to put your non-waterproof devices like regular flashlight, radio, or some $40 GPS tracker? with some extra O-rings if necessary.

     

    I'm not talking about deep dive. Maybe max of 30-40 m.

     

    I really doubt they'd survive to 30-40m. You need something much more robust for that.

     

    Although Elmer has had a Pelican case down to 30m, I sure wouldn't want to take something valuable and non-waterproof in one to that depth.

     

    It's not the o-rings that is is the issue, its whether the "box" can withstand the pressure and not malform and leak seriously - or implode under the pressure. I tried a small acrylic case for a house key in Bonaire and at around 25m wondered what the loud bang was that I had heard. I found out on surfacing.....

  5. I agree with Tim, I used a pelican to hold truck keys, some cash and a credit card. I too was doing shore diving in Bonaire and things left in the truck tend to not be there upon ones return. The pelican worked fine, but it is not designed to go 30 m.

    Another thought, a nalgene size bottle out of metal. It may be strong enough to not collapse at 30 m.

     

    Elmer

  6. Sump diving is a UK term...looks a bit like this:

     

    post-26465-0-58861000-1440462629_thumb.jpg

     

    The cloud of silt is from dragging a bag of extra gear through the mud. Visibility is a first-diver-only privilege. It's also pretty rough on the equipment and having gear that needs to stay dry after a dip adds complexity.

     

    The peli case and the nalgene may be strong enough not to collapse completely but they are likely to distort slightly and upset the o-ring seal. There's an easy way to test though - leave it empty and take it to depth. Take a spare pair of undies in case it goes bang :)

  7. Thanks errbrr - I was hoping that it was something like that. I call that mud diving, and most of what we do has much less vis than your photo. I generally can't see my pinkie finger if my thumb is touching my forehead. No cameras on those dives obviously (nor torches, since they don't do any good).

  8. Wow, that's impressive. I've never done any cave diving, but certainly respect those of you who do.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.