Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Anyone using the 20mm 2.8D

Started by Crayfish ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Anyone using the 20mm 2.8D

10 posts
  1. Hi anyone used the 20mm 2.8D for their underwater photography? it used to be a popular lens in the film days.

     

    I was wondering if it would be any good on a D800 behind a Nauticam 230 glass port?

     

    Cheers

     

    Alex

  2. Hey Alex,

     

    I have a 20/2.8D, but haven't used it underwater yet...I am taking it with me to the Maldives fairly soon, and will have a chance to try it behind a couple domes -- Zen 170 and Zen 200. I may get a chance to use it one time before then in a spring-fed lake, which is fairly clear. Either way, I'll follow up with results. I shoot a D810 in Nauticam housing.

     

    Best,

    Edited by CamelToad
  3. Cheers thanks for that would be interesting to see.

  4. Thanks for sharing that, Adam. I fear a 230 is in my future, but I like the 170 a lot for travel ...ugh!

  5. Hi Folks,

    I am going to the Maldives in February. I shoot with a D7200 and for wide angle I use the 10.5 fisheye with great results, but I am afraid I will not be able to get close enough to the large animals we hope to see there.. I have a FX 20mm F/1.8 lens I would like to try for this. I went to the above link and found it interesting but how might this lens work with my D7200 and an 8 inch dome? I have more DOF then an FX camera but would it be enough to sharpen the corners to an acceptable level?

  6. I used my 20/2.8D in the Maldives a good bit, and am pretty happy with the results. I shot it behind a couple different Zen domes (170 and 200). I also shot the 16-35 (with the 200) and Sigma 15mm FE (behind the 170 and 200) -- a buddy of mine had his D810 rig and stuff so we traded lenses and ports over the northern atolls tour we were on.

     

    These were both with my D810 and 20/2.8D - Nauticam Housing & two Z-240 strobes

     

    22567076551_9640a4428d_b.jpg

     

    22555856025_7ec6f0b0b3_b.jpg

  7. Hmmm, 20 mm may be too long for what I want on a D7200 then. What to do what to do? I'm looking for something for mantas and sharks that's sharper then a 10-17.

  8. I found the 10-17 to be quite sharp, and pretty much ideal for a Dx fisheye!

  9. Boy, you are at least the 10th one to say that. I wonder if I had a bad copy or the wrong spacer for mine? It was great on my D7000 but not very sharp on my D7100 or D7200. I thought it was the high pixel count that may have been causing my problems but now I'm starting to wonder.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.