Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Advice on Sony A7R2 lens set up

Started by Hayleydiver ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Advice on Sony A7R2 lens set up

7 posts
  1. I have been shooting with a Sony RX100 ii/Nauticam/Inon wet lens for the last few years with some great results.

     

    I'm putting my gear up for sale and buying a new Sony A7R2 to use top side as well as underwater.

     

    I'de love to hear thoughts on the perfect lens selection for underwater.

     

    Firstly I like the sound of the Sony 24-70mm F4 lens as it gives you similar options that I get from the RX100 being able to do a wider selection of shot types on the one dive. Something I have got so use to.

     

    For wide angle which set up will be smaller and give the best results?

     

    The Sony FE 28mm f/22 with the 16mm f/3.5-22 Fisheye converter lens or the Sony 16-35mm

     

    The Sony 90mm for macro looks pretty good as well.

     

    Do I get the macro and a wide angle only - or a wide angle and the 24-70mm with the super macro wet lens??

     

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

     

     

  2. I have used both A7 II and A7R II with the 16-35mm FE F/4 zoom which uses the Nauticam 180mm optical glass dome and the 90mm macro with N100 macro 105 port. Both of these configurations are first class. Nauticam also recommends the 180mm port with extensions for the 24 to 70mm zoom and as a result a closeup lens would not be supported. Support for the 28mm F/2 with fisheye and W/A adapters also requires an extension and 180mm port.

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  3. Thanks Phil - I've ordered the ports for the 16-35mm and the 90mm to get me started. Really looking forward to your full review in uwpmag soon.

  4. Hi Phil,

     

    Nice review in the new uwpmag!

    I have a question about the LED-Trigger. Detects the camera the LED-Trigger as an flash?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Tino

  5. The flash trigger works like an onboard flash but has its own battery. It works very well if you shoot your strobes in manual. It does not appear to sync above the factory 1/250th but I am still trying to see if I can get it to go higher. Hope this answers your question Tino

     

    Others can also find the link to my A7 II/Nauticam NA-A7II review in the Members in the media section below.

  6. The 16-35mm FE looks nice if you want to go WA, but I still wait for a fisheye that can match the Sigma 15mm or Nikon 16mm before considering the A7RII

  7. AF with the 8-15mm Canon / Metabones combo is actually quite fast, unlike some other lenses.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.