Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 10-17 FE + 1.4x TC in 100 mm mini-dome

Started by svenstad ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 10-17 FE + 1.4x TC in 100 mm mini-dome

15 posts
  1. This is a well discussed subject, but I found a new twist that I didn't find any previous post about.

    In many previous posts it is suggested that when you use then Kenko 1.4x TC you should also add a 20 mm extension ring. So far so good.

    But when I read Aquatica's guidelines (for Canon 1.6 crop, in my case) on how to combine lenses, ports ans extension rings, I get confused. I read that when using Tokina 10-17 FE in the mini-dome I should add the 16.5mm extension ring (18456) and when I add the Kenko 1.4x TC I need to replace the previous extension ring with the 28.5mm extension ring (18453).

    Now, the difference between these two rings is only 12 mm, which is significantly less that 20 mm. Is this OK?
    Is there anyone out there who has experience in using the Tokina 10-17 FE + 1.4x TC in 100 mm mini-dome with the 28.5 mm extension ring and who can confirm that it works fine?

  2. Svenstad, it is the right combination, it was found to give the best performance for this optical combination.

  3. Now I finally bought all the parts (Kenko 1.4x, zoom ring and 28.5mm extension ring (Aquatica #18453)) and there is something that isn't right.

    When I try to set the zoom to the long end, the lens (actually the "hood" that is a part of the lens) hits the dome glass before the lens reach full length.

    The 28.5mm extension ring is too short.

    Has anyone else experienced something similar?

    Jean?

  4. I have that exact set up, and I get no interference. Could your extension ring be mismarked? I remember when I bought my Kenko 1.4, there were a couple of versions. Perhaps you have a different version than I have. My Tokina has the hood attached.

  5. I use the Kenko/10-17 combo in my Bare dome (4 3/4", I think) with no extension and don't hit the dome. Total depth of the inner dome to housing edge is only 74mm. With a 28.5mm extension, that would put your dome at a depth of less than 45mm to have it hitting. Is it really that short? My Kenko is 21mm deep.

  6. This is a well discussed subject, but I found a new twist that I didn't find any previous post about.

     

    In many previous posts it is suggested that when you use then Kenko 1.4x TC you should also add a 20 mm extension ring. So far so good.

    But when I read Aquatica's guidelines (for Canon 1.6 crop, in my case) on how to combine lenses, ports ans extension rings, I get confused. I read that when using Tokina 10-17 FE in the mini-dome I should add the 16.5mm extension ring (18456) and when I add the Kenko 1.4x TC I need to replace the previous extension ring with the 28.5mm extension ring (18453).

    Now, the difference between these two rings is only 12 mm, which is significantly less that 20 mm. Is this OK?

    Is there anyone out there who has experience in using the Tokina 10-17 FE + 1.4x TC in 100 mm mini-dome with the 28.5 mm extension ring and who can confirm that it works fine?

     

    How much length does your 1.4x TC add to the lens? Can you supply a manufacture and model number for the tele-converter?

  7. the 100mm dome you are using is 18410 correct ?

  8. the 100mm dome you are using is 18410 correct ?

    Yes.

  9. The lens has a rubber ring on it near the front. The front edge of that rubber ring should be just visible at the base of the dome when looking strait across the dome. That should tell you what extension you need to put the dome in the proper place for the lens. In other words the lens shade is about all that is in the dome. Do you need a picture to understand?

     

    bill

  10. There is a photo of my Aquatica AD500 with Tokina 10-17FE and Kenko pro 300 1.4x TC, Aquatica #18453 extension ring, Aquatica 100mm mini dome. This setup works and also works on my AD7000 housing.

     

    Regards Mark

     

    post-23448-0-56719200-1470276008_thumb.jpg

  11. Attached is a picture as to how far your lens should extend into the dome. This location is key to getting sharp edges.

     

     

  12. picture here

    post-2195-0-94598300-1470280061_thumb.jpg

    Edited by blibecap
  13. Here is the same pic as blibecap but in the Aquatica 100mm mini dome and #18453 extension,

     

    Regards Mark

     

    post-23448-0-59175900-1470284224_thumb.jpg

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.