Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

I am blown away!

Started by Lionfish43 ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

I am blown away!

13 posts
  1. I am blown away!

    I just returned from the local color lab that I use where I picked up a print made from the photo below. All I can say is that I am stunned. The quality of the 16X20 print is absolutely amazing - much better than anything I have been able to get in the past from slide film and I have tried many different ways: Cibachrome, internegatives,you name it. I could never get a print to look as good as the slide. This print looks just as good as the image on my monitor - only better.

     

    This is a real benefit of digital imaging that I did not fully appreciate. After seeing this I have to say my film days are history. I only wish I had some way to show you the print.

     

    Larry

     

     

    Fiji34.JPG

  2. Is it a lightjet print?

  3. That is a beautiful photograph. What did you use to take it?

  4. Great Larry,

    I had a couple 16 x 20's done from Fiji as well. Very pleased with the results.

     

    Berkely White from Backscatter had an interesting story regarding digital vs film when it came to large prints, said digital beat the film shots hands down. Wish I could remember the details as it was quite interesting.

     

    James, I wonder if you could get him to post it or forward it to you. I found the information surprising.

     

    Rand

  5. printing digital prints

    Hello -

     

    If you have not tried Pictopia.com services you may find them very useful for printing large prints in different sizes, borders, etc. My prints come back looking great using their Fuji crystal archive paper.

     

    M.

  6. Rand: I'll ask him.

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. Oh, and I have selected a bunch of photos from Fiji to print also, but I have been waiting to finish processing them until I get my Spyder (hopefully on Tuesday).

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. Herbko wrote:

    Is it a lightjet print?

     

    It was printed on an Epson 9600 Pro with Ultra chrome ink

     

    DesertEagle wrote:

    That is a beautiful photograph. What did you use to take it?

     

    Fuji S2, Nikon 10.5mm lens, Aquatica housing, 2 X Nikonos SB105 strobes.

     

    Randapex wrote:

    Berkely White from Backscatter had an interesting story regarding digital vs film when it came to large prints, said digital beat the film shots hands down. Wish I could remember the details as it was quite interesting.

     

    I'd have to say that Berkely is right.

     

    Larry

  9. Larry,

     

    Really really nice image. Even if we don't get to see it as a print, the online version is mighty sweet. I'll second recommendation for Pictopia as well, they do really good work (well, strictly speaking, I suppose that they just do very accurate output of the file that you have done all the work on...) and turn around time is pretty fast.

  10. I think that digital produces awesome prints at 10 x 16. I got some recently (Fuji Pictros) and they were great - pretty hard to fault. But I have got just as good results from scanned film on Pictro. So I think it is a bit unfair to say that digital is better.

     

    I would agree that it is easier to get consistently good results with digital printing rather that chemical printing. But I don't believe that digital cameras are better than scanned slides. Both produce great images when printed digitally at ths size.

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. I imagine, Larry, that your picture must look stunning at that size. A great reef scenic like your shot just needs to be printed big to be appreciated.

  11. I think that digital produces awesome prints at 10 x 16. I got some recently (Fuji Pictros) and they were great - pretty hard to fault. But I have got just as good results from scanned film on Pictro. So I think it is a bit unfair to say that digital is better.

     

    I don't think it's unfair at all. I've had prints made from slides just about every way possible and never once did I look at the print and say "wow, this looks better than my slide." Sometimes it would be close, but never better.

     

    Larry

  12. I'd have to agree with Alex; I think the difference is digital printing. The prints I have made at my local lab printed from digital files (scans) surpass what I've gotten from the original slides using chemical processes. And this is without alot of postprocessing of the scans. But between my digital images from sensor and those from scans, I don't see alot of difference in the prints.

  13. Linda,

     

    I've only had a few prints made from scans and I was not impressed. Of course, YMMV.

    For me at least, I think it's a moot point. I don't think it's worth dragging both a film and digital system to remote sites for the few shots that I can't get with digital.

     

    Larry

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.