Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Re-use aquatica domeports for Aquatica 80 housing

Started by oskar ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Re-use aquatica domeports for Aquatica 80 housing

9 posts
  1. I got the possibility to get som old UW gear as a kit. Some of the parts I do not want are two Aquatica 8 housings for Nikon 801 with one dome and one macro ports. I do not know the details of those ports.

     

    Are those ports re-useble today or have they changed system? Can they be used with other systems than the Aquatica system?

     

    Cheers

    /O

    Edited by oskar
  2. Oskar, these are screw mount type ports and are not compatible with any existing housing (ours or other), Aquatica has been using a bayonet type mount for over 25 years now

  3. Aha, Thanks truly just relics then. What a pity!

  4. the old aquatica ports are great for making margaritas in. :crazy:

    Edited by MK2
  5. I remember that Aquatica commercialized A80 and sport up till the end of the '90. In my calendar are only 15 years.

    I don't understand the reason of the absence of an adapter to the new bayonet type. Of course it will lost the fisheye usability (I 've two 8" dome A80) but will be good for new longest wide zoom. This Aquatica decision is the reason of my switch to a different system, added to the fact that in Italy is very difficult (sadly) to purchase Aquatica.

    I still use old style Tlc arms, are fantastic tools!

    Edited by vbpress
  6. Valerio, I have been involved with Aquatica since 1991 and already that was the end of the line for the A80 when I started with them, with the trend shift toward AF camera with integrated film advance, as opposed to the previous manual focus and motor driven camera such as the Nikon F3 and Canon F1, it was decided to take advantage of the more compact design of the contemporary F90 cameras and switch over to a bayonet type of port.

     

    As for the Sport, while the model designation started as a A80 housing shell, it soon replace with a housing based on a A90 type bayonet housing, which was indeed marketed for a while. I am sorry to hear that this did influence your decision, but I understand, As with many a manufacturers, we do have to keep up with progress and sometime this ruffles some feathers, many of you will recall the Canon switch from FD to EF mount for taking advantage of the newer technologies.

  7. Jean,

    You tell the truth nonedeless it is very sad for me to lay unused my old Aquatica system in the boxes. A80 was an essential sturdy housing, I stll hope to fit any new mirrorless inside, at the moment it is impossible but in the future ... Never say never.

     

    Bye

  8. I have the exact same problem. I have old screw type ports that I want to re-use.

     

    Does anyone know what kind of thread this ports use? Seems to be custom, eh?

  9. Jaen has the answer,

    but I remember that I' ve read about these kind of ports where made using an industrial standard screw type,

     

    A few years ago I contacted the Italian manufacturer Isotta, they have the tecnology and the materials, but the production costs are too high and the finally results could be not satisfying. 8 inchs are anought for wide angle but today we use wide agle zooms that need the correct extension. Every housing system need different extension, it's hard to think about a serius market for any manufacturer. The only one colud be Aquatica, having his system for target. But they made different choices and that' s the end of it.

    The only way we have to bring to the digital era the old A80-sport System is in the future ML slim cameras.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.