does anybody use the Nauticam 65 MacroPort 36163 with the Olympus 12-50mm?
I use actually only the 65er port for my 60mm and 12-50 but the feathering @12mm is not so good.
No i think about to switch to the Nauticam 12-50 Port 36161 for more flexibility and better feathering.
in the actually port Chart Nauticam says nothing about the fit of the two ports....
Hi Michael,
I am not sure what you mean by "feathering". I use the 60mm macro, 25mm F1.8 and 12-50mm kit lens in the Nauticam macro port, which is my only port. I haven't seen a problem but must admit that I don't shoot much at 12mm and if I do I may not look at them as critically as pictures of small stuff. If the feathering issue is due to not using a dome port then the 36161 port won't help.
Bart
which macro port do you use?
I use the Panasonic 60 mm lens in the 12 to 50 port as well as the 12-50 Olympus lens. I find it's a good combination.
I use the Panasonic 60 mm lens in the 12 to 50 port as well as the 12-50 Olympus lens. I find it's a good combination.
I think you must mean the Oly 60 lens, I don't think there is a Panasonic 60, only the 45 AFAIK.
Bill
I use the same macro port (65) for both, 12-50 & 60mm lens. It works just fine.
Can you explain a bit more about this feathering? Not sure I understand.
I think he may be referring to pincushion distortion and fringing and blur at the edges. Happens with all flat ports until 35mm and it's extremely bad at 24mm. That's why even if the port works below 35mm You should not really look for perfection in still images. In video you get away with it more but it looks like gopro footage at the edges
with the feathering i mean the blurred edges....
ok it is very reassuring that other use the 65er Macro for the 12-50, too
Here is an image shot with the 12-50mm at 12m behind the macro port. Not the prettiest composition but as far as lens/port combination is involved I am satisfied.
1/60sec, F11, ISO 200
Here is an image shot with the 12-50mm at 12m behind the macro port. Not the prettiest composition but as far as lens/port combination is involved I am satisfied.
Here is an image shot with the 12-50mm at 12m behind the macro port. Not the prettiest composition but as far as lens/port combination is involved I am satisfied.
I think it is all down to what acceptable is to you
Looking at this image there are two fish on the left. They are surrounded by a blue halo and they are elongated.
Look at the coral on the bottom left and you have the same.
To give an example the two images here are both at 24mm one is with flat port and the other is dome
Underwater this gets unnoticed less unless you have a person or a wreck but if you try and look at the image on a large screen the defects are obvious
I have both and much prefer the dome 4" port to the flat port. Better quality and with the add-on flip diopter i get great macro images at 50mm. At 12mm it is wider of course and much better corners. The port works great also for the 60mm lens also.
Andrea
Great illustrative image interceptor. As you say it depends on what is acceptable, though I must admit the effect is bigger than I had expected.
Bart
Great illustrative image interceptor. As you say it depends on what is acceptable, though I must admit the effect is bigger than I had expected.
Bart
The pincushion effect is terrible at 24mm, bad at 28mm but workable and disappears at 35mm equivalent
The issue however is that due to water magnification 24mm is indeed 32mm and 28mm is in fact 37mm so the field of view is not great either. The most acceptable result is if yo shoot a single fish in the centre of the frame with blue background so you don't see the blurred edges
I have both and much prefer the dome 4" port to the flat port. Better quality and with the add-on flip diopter i get great macro images at 50mm. At 12mm it is wider of course and much better corners. The port works great also for the 60mm lens also.
Andrea
What port and flip-diopter holder are you using? Not that many flip-ons that work with domes, are there?