I was wondering if anybody has had some experience with the A995 shutter release that can be shared.
My experience is that the spring that ships with the housing is comfortable to use. But below a certain depth, some 25m, the shutter release gets stuck down on the first shot, and only releases once I ascend to a shallower depth. It seems that the spring is not strong enough to counteract the "suction" that is caused by the difference in the pressure between outside and inside of the housing.
Aquatica have sent me a new, stronger spring, which I successfully replaced. However, this spring is too hard at low depths, and really requires a major effort to depress, which results (in my case at least) to much less comfortable and accurate operation, and to camera shake. I have not yet tried it below some 15m, so I cannot yet tell whether the depth problem is solved, but I suspect that it should be.
Not really an ideal solution, especially given that the housing is rated to 100m and IMO should work equally well at all depths down to 100m.
Do other housings, even by different manufacturers, suffer from the same problem? Is this a compromise one has to live with?
I suspect it may be possible to design something, maybe some sort of lever, that will make the operation much better. Or maybe something is available out there already?
Any ideas anyone?