Not sure how people feel about popular instagram accounts that just post pro underwater photos and then try to link and sell ocean t-shirts etc.
Read-only discussion
Not sure how people feel about popular instagram accounts that just post pro underwater photos and then try to link and sell ocean t-shirts etc.
Like most other FB related sites they do have a limp DCMA Copyright violation form to fill out- https://help.instagram.com/contact/539946876093520
As usual the onus is on the copyright holder to find and point out violations. The website/host distances itself from any onus to discourage or prevent
such infringements from happening. Same as FB, Pinterset, etc, etc...
Another annoying part of the Instagram reporting process is that they provide your contact details to the infringer.
Cheers,
Jim.
I had a bit of a conversation with the Accountholder too.
My image was added (cropped and without any watermark) on his page, without linking to my Insta-account. Also he directly ported all the images on his own website.
His reply started like this:
`Listen this is fine don't worry I'll take you photo down and you will never ever be featured on my page again sorry for posting a photo where 300 thousand people can see it, and yeah all you photographer friends email me so don't worry. `
Then I changed my tone of voice and some others started emailing too. Note the lack of dots and comma´s (probably a teenager on a mission to earn with Instagram and his website) :-)
´Yes I understand, but I don't put my photos on my website they go on automatically from when I post it
For some, this is the new way of making money.
If there is any hint that the individual or company responsible can be traced to an address, forget DMCA (a truly dreadful piece of legislation...) and find an attorney/lawyer who will work on contingency.
Takedown notices simply reinforce the view its OK to take and then remove if asked...meaning they simply carry on and find another creator's work.
It has occurred to me that since around 2010 there has not been a day when I have not been in litigation of some form...such is the new way of making money.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
I just wrote them to remove 6 of my images. I don't mind having people sharing my images as long as they are not making a commercial use of it.
They had clearly removed my watermark and omitted to credit me.
I have received an instant respond from the guys.
Damien
Good stuff here. These groups are just making money by posting photos (hopefully with a profile link) but then trying to charge anyone who asks or even emailing people about an "awesome deal on posts".
It's interesting because no one used to make money stealing your 640 pixel online image, but that's not the case on Instagram anymore.
I think the sharing is fine as long as they tag the photographer's account and give clear credit.
Sounds like it takes a crowd to reply an offender if you find someone stealing images though - the risk of losing the account is very real. That was a Hilarious story, Joost!
Brent
This has unfortunately become big business for many, stealing/linking all kinds of content for views on their site.
Check out this video:
Instagram is associated with the photos and good collection of videos.
----------
So a couple of years on and this Instagram account continues to flourish by repeatedly violating copyright.
Goes to show Instagram won't police its users and is complicit.
There is a collective assumption that re-posting/sharing is not a breech of © It of course is. Also users seem
to think that as long as they attribute they don't need to seek permission. They do! GRRRRRRR!
Cheers,
Jim.
Seems wrong to use others work to make some bucks on IG
The whole instragram copyright process is a joke once they accept the claim they delete the page and that is it pathetic
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.