Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Sand Goby - Istigobius sp.

Started by JimG ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Sand Goby - Istigobius sp.

5 posts
  1. Due to their variability, I always have bother deciding which of the various species I have photographed. This doesn't quite look like the common Decorated Sandgoby, I. decoratus. The general colour, distribution of spots, strong scale outlines and the faint bar running back from the eye suggest to me that it may be something different. Any views please?

    Taken Lembeh in no great depth.

    post-2843-0-83009600-1444055087_thumb.jpg

  2. Possibly Istigobius goldmani.

     

    -Mark

  3. Hi Jim, great image again. It could be either I. goldmanni or I. spence. First one is supposed to be more greyish with many dark spots on nape, the second more brownish with fewer spots. But available images don't really match and as usual they are somewhat variable. Purely going by RFEI images I'm leaning towards I. spence but really it is a toss-up for me.

     

    Bart

  4. Thanks to both of you. I thought both your suggestions were possibles so am no further forward unfortunately. I need to try an Istigobius expert I think. Will report back in due course

  5. To close this one down I can advise this has now been to Dr Helen Larson and she has given an ID of I. goldmanni. It is not a 100% ID however - she says "it looks more like I.goldmanni"

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.