Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

tokina 10-17 - wide angle options for d7000?

Started by Scotttyd ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

tokina 10-17 - wide angle options for d7000?

4 posts
  1. I am looking at getting a wide angle lens for my d7000 - I currently do not take it under water (use an older p5100 for that) but have plans to do such soon. I am wanting a wide angle lense that I can hopefully utilize for both underwater and above water/landscape settings. Does the tokina 10-17 create a fisheye affect at 17mm? I am not that experienced at wide angle and not sure when the fisheye effect comes in.

     

    thanks

  2. Hi Scott

     

    I used the Tokina 10-17 for about 5-6 years on a D300.

    I'd suggest if you are using a DX format camera then the Tokina 10-17 lens is the wide-angle lens to have underwater. It's superb at all focal lengths. It doesn't have an overly noticeable fisheye effect underwater (provided you don't have too many obvious straight lines in the image - pretty unlikely) and none at all at 17mm.

    By contrast, I didn't like it above water. There the effect is noticeable especially at the wider end and I found the lens produced slightly weird colours. For me the Nikkor 12-24 was the lens to have topside.

    Underwater though, DX format, the 10-17 is a no-brainier.

    Edited by TimG
  3. Great advice Tim!

     

    The 10-17mm is a no brainer for cropped sensor Nikon cameras underwater. It is not a great lens for any other ruse though...

     

    The Sigma 8-16mm is good option for both, but needs a large dome for underwater use.

     

    Adam

  4. I've been using the 10-17mm since it first came out. It's great for my needs I've used it with a sea and sea compact dome with a 20-30mm extension ring.

     

    If you zoom it in to 17mm it effectively just cutting off the corners and using more of the central frame, less bending of straight lines.

     

    It's not a reticilinar lens, it's a fisheye with a zoom / crop facility. I've not use for it above water what so ever.

     

    I'm not a great lover of fisheye imaging anyway, I prefer the use of the 12-24 Tbh. None the less in in my kit bag.

     

    Forgive me it's been sometime. I once was an E-6 shooter , when life was simple

     

    Craig

    Edited by craig nelson
Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.