Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Fish/Squid? I really don't know.

Started by Beagle ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Fish/Squid? I really don't know.

5 posts
  1. Hi guys,

     

    I need some help. I photographed something 2 weeks ago in Secret Bay/North Bali and have no idea what this is. I don't even know if it is a living thing, but I think the "wings" flapped.

     

    Thank you in advance!

     

     

    post-52417-0-25116100-1444466679_thumb.jpg

  2. Yeah, sea pen. Looks like it's been stabbed with that skewer. Some divers carry those to mark stuff. Speaking cynically and speculatively, it looks like it might have been "pinned down" by someone to get a shot of a critter that was living on it, and then just left. It doesn't look too healthy!

  3. Thank you guys for your input/clarification. It really looks like a some kind of seapen. But isn't the pinned down end the end thats normally in the ground?

  4. Thank you guys for your input/clarification. It really looks like a some kind of seapen. But isn't the pinned down end the end thats normally in the ground?

    Really hard to tell from that pic. Looks like there is only part of the rachis (the upper part of the central stalk) there, and none of the peduncle (the part at the base). I was speculating wildly about the stick. Certainly a strange find. Here's another sea pen from Secret Bay that looks like it's seen better days.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.