Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Lens correction filters for cold/green water, kindly ask for help

Started by bigmaras ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens correction filters for cold/green water, kindly ask for help

7 posts
  1. Hi,

    I'm owner canon 50d + canon 17-85 lense to uderwater photo I have Ikelite house 6870.50 + dome port 5503.90. I'm diving usually in cold green water in Poland and I have question about correction filters:

     

    What model, brand filter should I buy? Dedicated Ikelite or maybe other brands are better?

  2. Hi bigmaras

     

    Take a look at Magic Filters http://www.magic-filters.com

     

    Reasonably inexpensive as uw equipment goes and can be used without a strobe.

  3. Hi bigmaras

     

    Take a look at Magic Filters http://www.magic-filters.com

     

    Reasonably inexpensive as uw equipment goes and can be used without a strobe.

     

    They have "GreenWater Magic filter" for diving in cold/green waters but I don't see canon 17-85 in the compatibility table, so probably my lense is incompatible :]

  4. I believe the filter thread for the 17-85 is 67mm. Just get the next size up (77mm) and trim it size with some scissors.

  5. I believe the filter thread for the 17-85 is 67mm. Just get the next size up (77mm) and trim it size with some scissors.

     

    Bigger size and cut by scissors, is it joke?

     

    BTW. I ordered Kenko 67 flw.

  6. No, we're not kidding!

     

    They're made of a gel-type material and you can cut them to any size. So if you need 67mm - or whatever - and that size is not available, you can order a bugger size, cut them and then mount in a, say 67mm filter UV filter.

     

    It may sound a bit weird, but, believe us, it works no problem. It's, as I said, an easy and relatively inexpensive solution.

  7. I've used the Green Water Magic filter a lot and they work incredibly well.

     

    Two points:

     

    1. You need to manually white balance with them. If your subject changes depth by more than 2m or so, you need to re-white balance.

    2. You need to shoot at a slight downward angle. If you get to much ambient light from the surface, this produces a color cast.

     

    In terms of mounting, I tend to get a small piece of the filter and stick it onto the rear end of the lens with some tape as they demonstrate with the Tokina 10-17mm here: http://www.magic-filters.com/tokina.html

     

    In cold green water, with this filter, you can actually extract more detail from a scene than your eyes can make out....

     

    Adam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.