Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

45 degree viewfinder vs external monitor

Started by Zeelanddiver ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

45 degree viewfinder vs external monitor

9 posts
  1. Hi Guys,

     

    Can you please share with me if an external monitor would be suitable for (macro) photography over a 45 degree viewfinder?

     

    The resolution of these screens are becoming better and better, but what about the AF speed?

     

    Thanks!

     

     

  2. I am looking around for about 2 years to find a reasonable "expensive" external monitor with at least a 5'' monitor.

    Unfortunately most of them are extremely expensive and a external monitor with focus peaking are available from 300$,

    but unfortunately there are no housings for them on the market.
    The cheapest (approx 1000€) is Italian Manufacturer Easy Dive's 16:9 monitor, but he is just a video monitor, all other ones are far more expensive than 2000$.

    The best bang for the buck are probably the ATOMOS products as they will record also.

     

    A external monitor gives you the advantage that you can orientate it to the optimal angle and you have a big screen to watch what you are shooting.

    The main backdraw is:
    - hefty price
    - another electronic part with cables and charger

    - added drag under water

     

    Chris

     

    P.S. I am really wondering why no housing manufacturer is producing a cheap enclosure for some standard dslr monitors ... :scratch:

  3. Hi zeelanddiver

     

    You ask an intriguing question.

     

    As Chris sets out, among the problems of an external monitor are power, price and yet another chunky bit of gear to take into the water which can go wrong.

     

    I wondered why you would want an external monitor for macro - presumably still? - photography. I've found a 45-degree viewfinder terrific in terms of its portability, that it allows a low-to-the-reef/sand/seabed shot while the diver can stay off the reef, that there is nothing much to go wrong with it - and there are no batteries involved. They aren't cheap for sure - but sounds cheaper than the monitors Chris mentions. The magnifying viewfinders (say Subal or Nauticam) provide an image size which allows for examining and fine-tuning composition without too much eye strain.

     

    I can see that an external monitor might make the viewing a little easier - but with, for the moment at least, significant drawbacks.

     

    Where do you see the advantage?

  4. Another drawback to an external monitor vs a 45-degree viewfinder is that your view of it is more likely to be affected by high ambient light conditions which may also result in relections on the monitor's surface.

     

    Fred

  5. Another drawback to an external monitor vs a 45-degree viewfinder is that your view of it is more likely to be affected by high ambient light conditions which may also result in relections on the monitor's surface.

     

    Fred

     

    Good point, Fred! Many moons ago I used a Coolpix 5000 (back in the mists of time) and the 45 degree screen on that was very good but, yep, very hard to see in high ambient light. Not doubt screens have improved but that particular problem seems to remain with most screens I have seen.

  6. Hi guys!

     

    Many thanks for your replies!

     

    I was thinking that a seperate screen such as the smallhd dp4 or 501 gives a larger view of the subject compared to a viewfinder, and the monitor can be held in almost every position. If the monitor is positioned behind the camera drag isn't much increased, but it adds some weight for sure. But then the camera settings should be projected on the external monitor.

     

    Since i mainly dive in murky waters the reflection will be not such an issue.

     

    The battery thing is a good point and i like to keep it simple. So I will try if i can borrow a 45 degree viewfinder to figure out if it suits me.

     

    In the mean time maybe a OWhousing company can make a ipad mini housing with somehow focus assist using an app and make it possible to see the camerasettings on the ipad mini screen ?!

  7. An iPad Mini housing! Woohoooo!!! Wouldn't that be something :crazy:

     

    (Mind you, I have to say, I'm mightily vexed with Apple at the moment - just updated my iPhone5 to iOS9.x.x and the rear camera no longer works. I do not seem to be alone judging from the Apple website. And Apple tell me the camera has failed and I need to buy a new one. Really?!??!?!)

     

    Ok, back to the the thread.... yep, well worth checking out a 45-degree viewfinder. I've had 5 housings over the last 15 years with the last two having a 45-degree viewfinder. I reckon that bit of kit has made more difference to my images than anything else I have bought in the way of bits and bobs. I just love it and would never use a housing now without one. Can heartily recommend you borrowing one to give it a go.

  8. I've been looking at housings for the future as I may get one.

    And being in the film background, I am used to using external monitors.

     

    I would like to use an external monitor for my camera rig.

    The best monitor I've come across was the SmallHD 702.

     

    But getting a housing for such a thing, that is rated for deep diving... I'm not really sure how.

     

    Having a bigger monitor than looking through the viewfinder seems to be much easier.

    Everything will be big and displayed on the monitor.

    Plus you can be in any position underwater, and you dont necessarily need to be behind the camera to look at what youre shooting.

    I dont think that keeping your head up to the viewfinder is any good. could cause bumps? -- Not sure. Never used a viewfinder underwater, only for a few photos I did once, and didnt like using it at all.

  9. Someone should invent a mask integrated wireless solution.

     

    Joke OFF.

     

    I have also looked around if there is a reasonably priced option to hook an external 4k recorder on the gear (serves as monitor too) - but only found the ridiculously priced Nauticam Shogun housing (4k$+). First of, the ninja assassin would suite any HDMI cameras well, then it doesn't need a housing as complex as a camera housing. Heavily thinking on DIY or finding someone able to make an aluminium brick for the stuff.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.