Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Blending In - Lacy Bryozoan and its Inhabitants

Started by Nick Hope ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Blending In - Lacy Bryozoan and its Inhabitants

6 posts
  1. The near-white lacy bryozoan, Triphyllozoon inornatum, has been getting attention from divers over the past couple of years since various inhabitants were spotted living in them at Ambon. In this video from Lembeh was see the same species of bryozoan hosting a soon-to-be-described bryozoan goby, a bryozoan crab (Pachycheles garciaensis) and a bryozoan snapping shrimp (Synalpheus sp.).

     

    I originally made this as a quick video for a bryozoan specialist to confirm the ID of the bryozoan for Gerry Allen to put in his paper when he describes the goby, but I decided to make a bit more of it.

     

    Shot with a Panasonic GH4 in a Nauticam NA-GH4 housing. I used an Olympus M.Zuiko ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ lens with Nauticam CMC (and the 60mm f2.8 macro lens for the crab shots).

     

  2. Fascinating.

  3. Very nice work.

  4. another amazing work,

    may i ask, so u bring 2 camera for 2 lens going underwater?

  5. Thanks guys!

     

    another amazing work,

    may i ask, so u bring 2 camera for 2 lens going underwater?

     

    No, I change the lens depending on what I want to shoot. For most of this I used the Olympus 12-50, which also has a 43mm macro mode. For the shots of the crab in the middle of the video I had my Olympus 60mm macro lens on, which I use when I want to go all-out macro. I think on that dive I was hoping to shoot pygmy seahorses. With both of those lenses I also use a Nauticam CMC on a Nauticam flip-arm. Good combination!

     

    I do have a 2nd GH4 which I use for topside video on the boat etc., and as a spare in case something goes wrong with the underwater one.

  6. nick, thanks for ur explanation~

    Edited by leo999

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.