Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Beginner set up for 50/50 photos

Started by waz ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Beginner set up for 50/50 photos

4 posts
  1. Hi guys,

     

    I'm looking at getting a set up for 50/50 photos (above and underwater). I have been inspired by seeing other peoples photos and am determined now to take some myself. The camera would probably not go below 1m in depth.

     

    The setup I am thinking about in order to not blow the budget is a Canon EOS M (or M2) with the Canon EF-M 11-22mm lense. A Meikon housing and Meikon wide angle lense. Actually now looking at them again I'm not sure if this particular lense would work in the Meikon housing, is this right?

     

    Can anyone recommend a setup for what I'm after? I wouldn't mind a DSLR, but it might blow my budget, thats why I've been looking at other options.

     

    Thanks in advance,

    Waz

  2. I forgot to say that the photos I would want to take would be of fish just below the surface, probably around 500mm away from the camera so I would really like an ultra wide (weitwinkel) angle lense and dome port. This is what seems to be making it hardest to work out what goes together and what to get.

     

    Cheers

    Waz

  3. Following...

     

    Did you get any replies, Waz?

     

    I'm a newbie to water photography, but have been taking land based photos for a long time. I'm trying to decide whether to get a housing for my dSLR or a smaller compact camera just for water use. Advise would be great!

  4. Hey guys

     

    I'm not familiar with the Meikon system - sorry - but a quick look for Meikon ports led to the Meikon fisheye port which seems to be 200mm in diameter.

     

    By my experience this should work and is the minimum I'd want to use for over-under pictures. The wider the dome, the better. I did try with a 100mm dome with pretty hopeless results. 200mm is good - and 230mm much better.

     

    For lenses for over-unders I've found the Tokina DX 10-17 to work well and the Nikkor 10.5mm DX and the Sigma 15mm FX. Sorry, can't help win Canon but I'm sure others can advise on that.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.